Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
Dominik Lakatoš, the 22-year-old ice hockey forward, is moving to Vítkovice after spending 10 years playing for Liberec in the junior leagues. The player, who is partially of Romani origin, was the champion of the Czech Extraliga in 2015 and its second-best player in 2017 and 2019.
In 2016, Lakatoš played for the Czech team at the junior championship and became the Extraliga's best rookie that year as well, followed by a ranking as the league's most productive junior player in 2017. That year he was drafted to the National Hockey League's New York Rangers.
"Altogether I've been here about 10 years. I have unforgettable memories of it, I basically grew up here. I got to know brilliant friends and people here whom I will probably know for the rest of my life. I can't even describe how grateful I am to the leadership, including Filip Pešán, who gave me the chance to play in the best league in our country," Lakatoš said in an interview for the Bílí Tygři Liberec team's website.
"Dominik has done an unreal amount of work for our club and he knows the club has also done a great deal for him. He helped us win the title and played two finals with us, for which he deserves great thanks. We're going our separate ways now because Dominik has to take the next step in his career. His performance last year in our colors was not optimal, so we agreed it is necessary for him to change his environment, become independent, and carry on his performance from previous years," Pešán said.
Lakatoš received offers from several clubs, but chose Vítkovice. "I picked Vítkovice, it seemed the best decision to me. Not only do I know Mr Petr, but also Honza Výtisk is there, I'm looking forward to him," he said.
"Under the current circumstances in our club, Dominik Lakatoš is the optimal choice for us. He's a young player who also has enough Extraliga experience from the most difficult championships there are to see. In addition, we personally experienced working with him on the junior representation," said Jakub Petr, the main trainer for Vítkovice, who led Lakatoš previously as a coach for the under-20 representation at the 2016 World Championship.
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- Romani ice hockey player drafted into the NHL for the New York Rangers
- Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
- Romani hockey player Dominik Lakatoš: My Dad is my biggest hero
- Romani hockey player listed in Czech edition of Forbes "30 under 30"
- Czech Interior Minister, SocDem chair: The position of Roma will improve by combating the collections mafia and traffickers in poverty
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Romania: "Gipsycoin" cryptocurrency launched by Romani community leader
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments