Czech-language Internet again spreading hoax about "free medicine for Roma"
The Czech-language Internet has once again begun spreading a hoax alleging that Romani people get medications or other goods for free in pharmacies. During the month of July, news server hoax.cz reported that this falsehood was one of the 10 most-widespread hoaxes making the rounds in Czech.
Recently Jiří Maria Sieber, who is running for the Czech Senate, disseminated this falsehood along with a rumor that Romani people were even receiving washing machines free of charge. The original hoax about Romani people not having to pay for medications first appeared in April 2011 and was primarily disseminated through e-mail.
Sieber has modified the story so that the mythical Romani woman is instead allegedly getting Sunar baby formula free of charge at a pharmacy. "Then the gypsy went to the cashier and put a piece of A-4 paper on the counter. The pharmacist with Dr. Max sewn onto her white office coat gave the gypsy five Sunars and confirmed that the A4 paper was from the welfare office so the gypsy did not have to pay for them. The gypsy happily went on her way with her Sunars," Sieber posted online.
Back in 2011 this absurdity was refuted by the Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry. "People who have been recognized as persons in material distress who receive one of the benefits for aid to those in material distress (the living allowance, the housing benefit, or extraordinary immediate aid), are only releived of their obligation to pay regulatory fees, according to the law on public health insurance. Neither that nor any other law relieves them of the obligation to pay for medications! If a patient buys medications for which the patient must pay in whole or in part, then all patients must pay that money, without exception!" Viktorie Plívová, who in 2011 was spokesperson for the ministry, wrote to news server Romea.cz back then.
One of the hoaxes about free medicine
This is a translation of one of the hoaxes now being spread through social networking sites in Czech:
Shock at the pharmacy, INFORM EVERYBODY!!!!!! Until last week I had no idea, but Roma don't have to pay for medicines. I was at the pharmacy buying my kids drops for their cough and their noses, etc. That minority was in front of me in line, they were choosing medicines and then they pulled out a paper from the welfare office,... the pharmacist confirmed it for them and they left. I asked her what that paper had been and she told me those people were socially weak so the state pays their medicines.
I almost lost it, I paid CZK 500 and went home angry. I work, I pay social security, health insurance, taxes - and all of it goes to them and those like them.
PLEASE, SHARE THIS FURTHER, SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS ALREADY!!!!!
- Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
- Czech-language online hoax alleges terrorist attack in Prague in order to steal personal data
- The online hoax phenomenon and how to address it
- Czech-language internet users, Roma included, fall for debunked hoax about mass wedding of adults and children
- Czech Republic: Anti-refugee hoax online after gas station attendants mistake Roma from Slovakia for "refugees"
- Czech tabloid report on Romani political party may be a hoax
- Hoax party ridicules Czech Christian Democrat leader Cunek
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Czech Interior Minister, SocDem chair: The position of Roma will improve by combating the collections mafia and traffickers in poverty
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged