Czech leader of ultra-right party files criminal report against Prime Minister
On 17 December, Tomáš Vandas, head of the Workers' Social Justice Party (Dělnická strana sociální spravedlnosti - DSSS), filed a criminal report against Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka, who chairs the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD). Vandas believes Sobotka committed felony slander when he called the DSSS a Fascist, racist party.
The Prime Minister says he is standing by his opinions. He made the remarks when a local ČSSD cell in the town of Duchcov formed a coalition government with the DSSS.
"I am convinced that it is not possible for Social Democarcy, at any level, to form a coalition government with parties of a Fascist or racist character, and the Workers' Party undoubtedly is such a party," Sobotka told the press. The next day the ČSSD's Central Executive Committee closed the party cell in Duchcov.
Vandas then called on Sobotka to either apologize or file a motion for the DSSS to be dissolved. "Given that Prime Minister Sobotka has not apologized for his remarks in which he repeatedly labeled the DSSS as a party with a Fascist, racist character, he has, in my opinion, committed a crime and it is for the criminal justice authorities to investigate the matter," Vandas said.
The DSSS chair believes Sobotka has not only committed slander, but also felony incitement to hate a group of persons and restrict their rights and freedoms. "The aim of this remark is to stir up a hate campaign against a party that has different political aims and plans than the ČSSD of which Mr Sobotka is chair," the criminal report reads.
The predecessor to the DSSS, the Workers' Party (Dělnická strana - DS) was created by Vandas in 2003. In 2010 the Supreme Administrative Court agreed with a Government motion to dissolve it.
The court found the party involved chauvinistic and xenophobic elements, operated with a racist subtext, and was carrying on the National Socialism of Adolf Hitler. Representatives of the dissolved party then created the DSSS.
- Czech Republic: Yet another fiasco for the DSSS - 10 people, not 400, in Brno
- Czech Republic: Europe Roma Network condemns SRP chair for shaking hands with DSSS chair
- Analysis: Why Czech ultra-right voters chose Okamura, not the DSSS
- Czech Republic: Many neo-Nazis running for the DSSS again
- Czech Republic: DSSS supporters attempt pogrom on Romani residents of Ostrava once more
- Czech Police refute yet another false anti-Roma report spread by Duchcov DSSS cell
- Czech Police Inspector-General doesn't know who released video of assault in Duchcov, but DSSS seems to
- Czech Republic: Splinter DSSS faction plans 13 more anti-Romani events by year's end
- DSSS files criminal charges over Czech-Romani flag exhibit
- Czech Republic: DSSS extremists preparing to demonstrate in Varnsdorf again
- Czech Republic: Injuries after DSSS provokes street warfare in Duchcov, police use tear gas and water cannon
- Czech Green Party: Neo-Nazi DSSS wants to stir up ethnic hatred in Duchcov
- Czech Republic: North Bohemian members leave DSSS
- Czech court awards compensation to Moroccan assaulted by DSSS candidate
- Czech Republic: DSSS extremists march in support of racist murderer
- German Police raid neo-Nazis linked to Freies Netz Süd, which collaborates with the DSSS
- Czech Republic: Municipal police tell DSSS extremists they won't let them destroy Břeclav
- Czech Republic: Opponents of neo-Nazis will not blockade DSSS march but will hang banners instead
- Romanian court hands down a scandalous decision: Roma woman who was beaten up by a minibus driver has to pay a fine
- Descendants of antifascists and Holocaust victims call on Czech MP Andrej Babiš to resign, including the Museum of Romani Culture director and the grandson of a Romani partisan
- German MEP of Romani origin Romeo Franz: The situation for Roma in Ukraine is shocking, I could not believe Roma live in such conditions in Europe
- CNN: Czech Republic has discriminated against Romani refugees from Ukraine, updated data refute the myth that they all hold dual citizenship
- Czech research finds one-third of Romani refugees from Ukraine have experienced discrimination here, most children are not in education, dual citizenship has not been "abused" by them
- Hungary's Jewish Community protests PM Orbán's racist speech in which he said Hungarians don't want to become a "mixed-race" nation
- Czech volunteers say second-largest city has broken its agreement by closing camp used by Romani refugees from Ukraine near Grand Hotel
- New handbook describes how to intervene against daily hatred and racism in the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands
- Czech local candidates who quit the "Mayors and Independents" party have secured enough signatures to run as independents
- All candidates for the "Mayors and Independents" party in Czech town are quitting to run as their own group after mayor is told not to run for espousing racist violence
- Czech mayor must either withdraw his candidacy today or be delisted as a candidate by his party ahead of local elections for his racist advocacy of violence against Romani people
- Czech party calls on mayor to withdraw from local election over racist approval of violence against Romani people