Czech media outlet puts unnecessary emphasis on ethnicity in reporting public transport incident
On Thursday 23 April, online news server iDNES.cz wrote about an incident that took place on 22 April on public transport in Jihlava using the headline "Gypsies fight on trolleybus". After the obcasnik.eu website drew attention to this interesting headline, the iDNES.cz editors quietly and rapidly erased the content.
Online editorial systems create Internet addresses for articles from their headlines. That means the original headline for the article was indelibly captured in the original Internet address for the piece.
The current Internet link to the news item about a conflict on the Jihlava public transport system now has a neutral name, "Brawl on a trolleybus in Jihlava", and the article's headline is "Passengers fight on trolleybus, police intervene". No trace of the original news item can now be found online.
A mention of the brawlers' ethnicity remains only in a direct quote from the transportation dispatcher, who did not want to give his name to reporters. There is no mention as to why the editing changes and alteration of the piece occurred, but there is probably only one explanation for the original piece: The editors who first released the "Gypsies" headline wanted to post a sensational news item, no matter the cost.
- Do Romani media make sense?
- Romea.cz: Media watchdogs are not censors - here's the proof!
- Czech media retract unverified article about Romani quintuplets and organic food
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19