Czech MP faces first criminal charges over remarks about Lety concentration camp
The first criminal charges have been filed against Czech MP Tomio Okamura, chair of the "Dawn of Direct Democracy" (Úsvit) movement, for his remarks about the former so-called "gypsy camp" at Lety by Písek. The charges were filed by Šimon Heller (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL), who believes Okamura has committed the felony of denying the Nazis' crimes against humanity.
News server Romea.cz has learned that several members of the Romani community are also planning to file their own charges. "Today, 5 August 2014, I filed criminal charges with the District State Prosecutor in České Budějovice against Tomio Okamura, a Member of the Parliament of the Czech Republic and chair of the Úsvit movement," Heller posted to his blog.
Heller is running for the position of city council member in České Budějovice this fall. He believes Okamura's remarks obviously violated Act No. 40/2009 Coll., paragraph 405.
Klára Kalibová, a lawyer with the In IUSTITIA organization, is of the same opinion. "Tomio Okamura has probably committed a felony under section 405, that of denying, casting doubt on, approving or justifying a genocide. Whoever publicly denies, casts doubt on, approves or attempts to justify a genocide, whether committed by the Communists, the Nazis, or anyone else, or who makes such an attempt regarding the other crimes against humanity committed by the Communists or the Nazis shall be punished with a prison term of anywhere between six months and three years," she told news server Romea.cz.
Heller said Okamura has denied the historical facts of what the living conditions in the Lety concentration camp were like, as well as the fact that the victims were held there against their will. The prisoners were subjected against their will to conditions that many of them did not survive, which means they were effectively killed.
Okamura, despite the existence of these historical facts and testimonies, has claimed the opposite, that "No one was was ever killed in the camp", and to do so violates the law because it constitutes a denial of Nazi crimes. He is now beginning to find himself in political isolation, as several politicians are refusing to meet with him.
"Personally speaking, I will never shake hands with Okamura (and he's always the first one to assertively stick out his hand despite the rules of social behavior), I wouldn't want to sit at the same table with him and in general I intend to give him a wide berth," Czech Senator Eliška Wagnerová, who is a former Constitutional Court judge, told news server Deník Referendum. Czech Human Rights Minister Jiří Dienstbier also previously said he is unwilling to discuss anything with the MP, who made his incriminating remarks in an interview for the political tabloid "Parlamentní listy" on the eve of Roma Holocaust Memorial Day.
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Jana Horváthová: Hodonín and Lety functioned as concentration camps
- Czech Republic: Ex-MP on probation for inciting hatred against Roma to appeal
- Czech Republic: Shocking testimonies from the Lety concentration camp
- Čeněk Růžička: Okamura and those like him speak the language of criminals
- Czech Human Rights Minister: Okamura must resign
- Czech MP Okamura insults Romani victims of the Holocaust, media and politicians sharply criticize him
- John Kerry: Statement in Commemoration of the World War II Genocide of Roma
- Council of Europe: Handbook Launched on Remembrance Day of the Roma Holocaust
- European Roma and Sinti commemorate 70th anniversary of the gassing of 3 000 Roma and Sinti at Auschwitz
- Ahead of 70th anniversary of “Gypsy camp” liquidation at Auschwitz-Birkenau, ODIHR Director urges leaders to speak out against anti-Roma rhetoric
- ERTF commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Genocide on Roma
- UN: Ensuring the right to remembrance and dignity for the Roma people
- Czech Culture Minister wants to solve the problem of the pig farm at Lety
- Czech principal says politicians forgot about her school after death threats were made against it last year
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Czech Police: Anti-Romani signs at Romani genocide memorial in Lety were approval of genocide, perpetrators face three years in prison
- Čeněk Růžička: Is it so hard to grasp that we Roma want to witness the opening of our people's burial sites?
- VIDEO: Chair of Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic on the archaeological findings there
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Commentary: Actual risk now exists that deniers of the Holocaust of the Roma could join the Czech Government
- Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint about election campaign, proposals for "fertilization" of "gypsies" recur in local media discussion
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
Tags:Extremism, Holocaust, Lety u Písku, Racism, Tomio Okamura, trestní oznámení, Okamura - popírání romského holocaustu
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.