Czech NGO offers course on including Romani children in education
From 6-7 December the final opportunity will happen this year to attend a course for educators and other educational staff members who want to better understand Romani children. The accredited course, offered by the R-Mosty NGO, is free of charge thanks to support from the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.
The course is appropriate for anybody working in education, as well as for contact workers in social services, staffers of educational-psychological counseling centers, and members of other professions who come into contact with Romani people and especially Romani pupils. The course provides comprehensive information about Romani cultural specificity, Romani history and the Romanes language, as well as the current socioeconomic situation of Romani people, and with the aid of interactive discussions will shed light on some of the misunderstandings experienced during contact between majority-society members and Romani people, as well as the stereotypes behind those misunderstandings.
Graduates of the course, which is in its seventh year of successful implementation, appreciate that it increases their awareness about the Romani community, which facilitates more effective collaboration and communication with their Romani clients and pupils. The lecturers in the seminar are Mgr. Vlasta Geryková, an expert on inclusive education who is the principal of the Primary School Floriána Bayera in Kopřivnice, and the Romani Studies scholars Mgr. Barbora Šebová and Bc. David Tišer, who is a member of the Romani community.
The course involves 16 hours of instruction. Those attending from outside Prague will have the costs of their accommodation and transportation covered.
Those interested in attending can apply by writing to email@example.com or calling 725 345 594. The maximum capacity is 15 persons.
The course is accredited through the Czech ministry's DVPP system (Continuing Education for Educational Staffers). For more information, please visit www.r-mosty.cz.
- Czech principal says new law is clarifying educational support for socially disadvantaged pupils
- OECD publishes report on how resources are managed in the Czech education system
- Czech Republic: Romani high school students receive scholarships at ceremony, sponsors are convinced education is an investment
- Czech Education Ministry tracking Romani and socially disadvantaged pupils to prevent segregation
- Czech Republic: New project supports high school education among residents of Chanov housing estate
- Czech Republic: More than 30 % of those surveyed believe Romani children should not attend mainstream education
- European Roma Spirit Awards: Impreuna, Roma Education Support Trust, Romea.cz, Spišský Hrhov, Sabiha Suleiman
- Czech Education Ministry: Just 205 pupils transferring from "practical" to mainstream schools this fall
- Czech Republic: Roma seek scholarships for secondary education, plan to become architects, computer experts, doctors and police
- Klaudia Vospálková: Investing into education pays off
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Czech President says he vetoed education amendment because of inclusion
- Commentary: Czech tabloid quotes Romani man as opposing inclusive education, other Romani representatives respond
- Czech Senate approves education amendment in full, opponents of inclusion failed to convince them otherwise
- Adriana Trejtnarová: Inclusive education must include everything
- Czech Human Rights Minister on International Romani Day: Quality education, more awareness of Romani culture, history, language all important
- Parent of child with Down Syndrome writes open letter to Czech tabloid waging anti-inclusive education campaign
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?
- Yet another Czech town bans housing benefits, opposition politician and Romani NGO object
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Italian Deputy Prime Minister says EU Justice Commissioner's critique of Italy's treatment of Roma is "nonsense"
- Czech organization remembers the Nazi genocide and aids its Romani victims
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Czech elections: 13 Romani local assembly members, no Romani senators
- Martina Horváthová: Freely casting your ballot is your right - and nobody else's business!
- Slovak PM on Romani settlements: Incentivize employment, no tolerance for disorder
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson