Czech Police meet with Romani recipient of MBE to compare experiences in working with the Romani community
ROMACT, a program of the Council of Europe, organized a meeting in the Czech town of Litvínov yesterday between local police officers, crime prevention assistants, and social workers with a Romani police officer who is a recipient of an MBE in the United Kingdom, Petr Torák. Mayor Kamila Bláhová who welcomed the officer to the town hall after his travel from Great Britain.
During the meeting experiences in working with the Romani community were especially debated. Differences and similarities were also raised between the work of foot patrols and other police officers in Litvínov and in the English city of Peterborough, where Torák currently works as a detective.
"The specific work with the Romani community in England is not much different from the work in Litvínov. It is very similar in several points," Ladislav Strkáč. a foot patrol officer who participated, told news server homerlive.cz.
"The essential difference is in how national minorities are approached. In that respect, strict discipline reigns in Peterborough, and all offenses with a racial subtext are strictly punished, both by the police force and by the public. It was very interesting to hear how it works in England and to listen to the story of a Romani man who has managed to work his way up there," Strkáč said.
Torák emigrated to the UK with his family from the Czech Republic in May 1999 afer they were targeted by a neo-Nazi attack. He had been attending a private law academy in the Czech Republic.
In England he worked his way up from employment in fast-food restaurants and various forms of manual labor to joining the police. Today he works as a detective in Peterborough, a community located about 120 kilometers north of London.
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Romani singer received thousands of hateful verbal assaults, Czech Police charging two people
- Czech Police say assault on Muslim women in Prague by aggressive woman was a misdemeanor
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Romani police officer originally from Czech Republic becomes a Member of the British Empire
- Hundreds of convicted German neo-Nazis evading custody, some may be in the Czech Republic
- Czech Police must re-investigate one MP for Holocaust denial, but head of ultranationalist party will not be prosecuted
- Czech Police charge man who wore banned neo-Nazi symbols to ultra-right rally
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Czech Police receive complaints about elections, not yet clear whether vote-buying happened
- USA: Four racists arrested over last year's violence in Charlottesville
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- German court sentences neo-Nazi to life in prison
- Czech Police charge young woman over hateful online speech against first-graders