Czech Police meet with Romani recipient of MBE to compare experiences in working with the Romani community
ROMACT, a program of the Council of Europe, organized a meeting in the Czech town of Litvínov yesterday between local police officers, crime prevention assistants, and social workers with a Romani police officer who is a recipient of an MBE in the United Kingdom, Petr Torák. Mayor Kamila Bláhová who welcomed the officer to the town hall after his travel from Great Britain.
During the meeting experiences in working with the Romani community were especially debated. Differences and similarities were also raised between the work of foot patrols and other police officers in Litvínov and in the English city of Peterborough, where Torák currently works as a detective.
"The specific work with the Romani community in England is not much different from the work in Litvínov. It is very similar in several points," Ladislav Strkáč. a foot patrol officer who participated, told news server homerlive.cz.
"The essential difference is in how national minorities are approached. In that respect, strict discipline reigns in Peterborough, and all offenses with a racial subtext are strictly punished, both by the police force and by the public. It was very interesting to hear how it works in England and to listen to the story of a Romani man who has managed to work his way up there," Strkáč said.
Torák emigrated to the UK with his family from the Czech Republic in May 1999 afer they were targeted by a neo-Nazi attack. He had been attending a private law academy in the Czech Republic.
In England he worked his way up from employment in fast-food restaurants and various forms of manual labor to joining the police. Today he works as a detective in Peterborough, a community located about 120 kilometers north of London.
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Romani singer received thousands of hateful verbal assaults, Czech Police charging two people
- Czech Police say assault on Muslim women in Prague by aggressive woman was a misdemeanor
- Polish Police investigating antisemitic graffiti at Auschwitz Memorial
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Romani community members rescue children from apartment fire on Czech housing estate