Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
As news server Romea.cz previously reported, a young Romani man died on Saturday, 19 June 2021 in Teplice, Czech Republic after police arrested him. Video footage of their intervention against him was shot from the window of a building near the scene.
The Czech Police are rejecting the idea that the death of the man was caused by their intervention. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement in full translation here.
Police statement on the intervention in Teplice on 19 June 2021
On Saturday, just before 15:00, police responded to a call about an incident in Dubská Street where two men were said to be assaulting each other, damaging somebody else's car in the process. After the patrol arrived on the scene, officers found a man lying on the ground shirtless with obvious injuries on U Hřiště Street.
When the officers approached the man, he began behaving aggressively, attacking them - he bit one of the colleagues and scratched others. Officers had to use force to restrain him and called an ambulance.
The man was transferred into the care of emergency medical responders and subsequently collapsed in the ambulance. Attempts to resuscitate him did not succeed.
A doctor recorded the preliminary cause of death as a drug overdose and a court autopsy has been ordered to clarify the exact cause of death. Other circumstances of the case are now being investigated by detectives and staff with the Internal Affairs Department.
21 June 2021, Lt. Bc. Daniel Vítek
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Fire in Czech town destroys building where bereaved relatives of Stanislav Tomáš, the Romani man who died in police custody in June, were living
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Three innovations introduced to prevent hatred and racism on Instagram after UEFA's EURO 2020 championship sees spike in racist speech
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov