Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
As news server Romea.cz previously reported, a young Romani man died on Saturday, 19 June 2021 in Teplice, Czech Republic after police arrested him. Video footage of their intervention against him was shot from the window of a building near the scene.
The Czech Police are rejecting the idea that the death of the man was caused by their intervention. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement in full translation here.
Police statement on the intervention in Teplice on 19 June 2021
On Saturday, just before 15:00, police responded to a call about an incident in Dubská Street where two men were said to be assaulting each other, damaging somebody else's car in the process. After the patrol arrived on the scene, officers found a man lying on the ground shirtless with obvious injuries on U Hřiště Street.
When the officers approached the man, he began behaving aggressively, attacking them - he bit one of the colleagues and scratched others. Officers had to use force to restrain him and called an ambulance.
The man was transferred into the care of emergency medical responders and subsequently collapsed in the ambulance. Attempts to resuscitate him did not succeed.
A doctor recorded the preliminary cause of death as a drug overdose and a court autopsy has been ordered to clarify the exact cause of death. Other circumstances of the case are now being investigated by detectives and staff with the Internal Affairs Department.
21 June 2021, Lt. Bc. Daniel Vítek
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech Police arrest purveyors of disinformation who hatefully threatened refugees from Ukraine, court remands them into custody
- Czech Police find 65 cases of criminal approval of Russian aggression against Ukraine, charges filed in 30 cases so far
- Children's conflict in Czech town grows into argument between refugee family from Ukraine and a small group of Romani people, police and medical responders called to the scene
- Romania: 37-year-old Roma man alleges police brutality, European Court of Human Rights has found the state liable for more than 20 such violations since 2015
- Slovakia to compensate Romani victims of police brutality after nine years of judicial procedures
- Image of a Romani woman allegedly beaten up by Ukrainians is going viral, Czech police say they are investigating a reported robbery
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council after meeting with PM: We submitted our proposals for solutions to the Romani refugee crisis already in March
- Czech civic organization Konexe celebrates 10th anniversary and Roma Resistance Day in Prague with discussion about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Republic's second city sees Romani refugees from Ukraine sleeping in train station after refusing detention center accommodation
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late
- Czech Police charge bodybuilder for praising Russia's invasion of Ukraine and expressing desire for a war in which he could kill anybody
- Czech Police investigate bodybuilder who made death threats against Roma for looking forward to "war in the Czech Republic"