Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
As news server Romea.cz previously reported, a young Romani man died on Saturday, 19 June 2021 in Teplice, Czech Republic after police arrested him. Video footage of their intervention against him was shot from the window of a building near the scene.
The Czech Police are rejecting the idea that the death of the man was caused by their intervention. News server Romea.cz is publishing their statement in full translation here.
Police statement on the intervention in Teplice on 19 June 2021
On Saturday, just before 15:00, police responded to a call about an incident in Dubská Street where two men were said to be assaulting each other, damaging somebody else's car in the process. After the patrol arrived on the scene, officers found a man lying on the ground shirtless with obvious injuries on U Hřiště Street.
When the officers approached the man, he began behaving aggressively, attacking them - he bit one of the colleagues and scratched others. Officers had to use force to restrain him and called an ambulance.
The man was transferred into the care of emergency medical responders and subsequently collapsed in the ambulance. Attempts to resuscitate him did not succeed.
A doctor recorded the preliminary cause of death as a drug overdose and a court autopsy has been ordered to clarify the exact cause of death. Other circumstances of the case are now being investigated by detectives and staff with the Internal Affairs Department.
21 June 2021, Lt. Bc. Daniel Vítek
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Slovak NGO chair says half of all Romani women living in excluded communities experience domestic violence
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Former Czech MP faces prosecution for his remarks about a "pseudo-concentration camp" for Romani people at Lety
- Slovak court finally ends absurd story of Romani victims of police brutality being charged with perjury, exonerating the last such defendant
- Czech NGO signs agreement with police to cooperate for the benefit of bias crime victims
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA
- Case of Stanislav Tomáš discussed during plenary session of the European Parliament
- Czech activist on the investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš: Slowly but surely, it's moving forward, and it will be a marathon
- German Police criticized for their members doing pushups on parts of a Holocaust memorial