Czech Republic: Arson at detention facility, 50 people evacuated
In the town of Bělá pod Bezdězem a residential hotel housing foreign nationals awaiting deportation caught fire this morning. Someone intentionally set fire to one of the rooms in the facility, which is run by the Czech Interior Ministry.
Lenka Kostková, spokesperson for the Central Bohemian Regional Firefighters, said there were no injuries, roughly 50 people were evacuated, and CZK 30 000 worth of damage was caused. The incident occurred at 11 AM at the residential hotel, the occupants of which include foreign nationals scheduled for deportation.
One room on the first floor of the three-story building caught fire. "Before the firefighters arrived, 42 occupants and 10 employees were evacuated," Kostková said.
Firefighters from Bělá pod Bezdězem and Mladá Boleslav intervened at the scene. Kostková said staff immediately activated the building's sprinkler network and the firefighters then finished putting the fire out.
The blaze was completely out by 11:20. Firefighters then used positive pressure ventilation in the corridors and the room.
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Police release video footage to find assailants of foreign national in Brno
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech State Security Council takes note of extremism report as originally worded, Czech President did not get his way
- Czech Police have yet to take statements of 10 foreign students assaulted two weeks ago in Ostrava
- Slovakia: Victims of police raid on Romani settlement on trial for perjury
- Czech Constitutional Court to review controversial local ordinance about sitting in public