Czech Republic: Commemoration of Romani partisan will plant tree in his honor
A Romani hero of the Czechoslovak resistance during WWII, the partisan Josef Serinek, will be commemorated by an assembly at the end of this month. The event is being organized by the Black Partisan initiative (Černý partyzán), led by former Green Party chair Ondřej Liška, who is currently the country director in the Czech Republic of the Ashoka organization.
The assembly will take place on 30 July 2017 at 14:30 above the village of Spělkov (Vysočina Region), not far from the place where Serinek first found safe haven while engaged in the partisan struggle. Those attending will plant a tree together, which organizers say they want to "commemorate this essential figure of the antifascist resistance and former prisoner of the concentration camp for Romani people at Lety, and to commemorate the men and women of his group and the brave local inhabitants who supported them and worked together with them."
The tree planting is part of an initiative attempting to create a network of trails commemorating the fates and connecting the places linked with Serinek's work, that of resistance groups in general, and their supporters in that region. The next phase of the project will aim to make a map of the entire memorial hiking trail available at www.partyzanskastezka.cz.
- Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
- Three-volume biography of Czechoslovak Romani partisan, decades in the making, has been published
- Romani heroes: The "Black" Partisan, Josef Serinek
- The state is “inadaptable”, not the children
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Director of the Lidice Memorial in the Czech Republic has resigned
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech producer of items with portraits of totalitarians adds war criminals, contemporary figures to product line
- Czech Regional Governor gives award to Romani man who saved toddler's life
- Romafuturismo Library moves to northern Czech town of Most with new name: The Josef Serinek Library
- Week-long education event at Terezín also honors genocide of Roma with concert and flag
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- VIDEO: Interview with grandson of the Czechoslovak Romani partisan Josef Serinek
- International Roma flag to fly on buildings throughout Czech Republic tomorrow for Roma Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic: Memorial tree planted to honor the Czechoslovak Romani "Black Partisan", Josef Serinek
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia