Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
The editors at news server Romea.cz have received an open letter addressed to the media from the relatives of the 34-year-old Romani man who was shot dead one week ago in Chomutov and are publishing it in full at the request of the family. The tragic event happened there on Jirkovská Street.
At the time he was shot, the man was involved in an argument with another Romani community member. A non-Romani man came out of the apartment building in front of which the argument was underway and began to shoot at the Romani men because he was bothered by the noise.
A court has since accepted the motion of the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem and decided to remand the suspect into custody. He is charged with murder.
Open letter from the bereaved family to the media and the public
On Saturday, 27 May, our beloved son, brother, partner and friend died after being shot in Chomutov, and speaking as his loved ones and relatives, we are experiencing enormous sorrow at this moment. We therefore ask the public to respect our privacy.
We would like to ask journalists not to contact us and to leave us in peace. Currently an intensive criminal investigation is underway.
We want to believe the police are doing their jobs as best they can and that this case will soon be solved. We are therefore asking for your consideration and patience.
The broad range of speculation that is currently being disseminated about this case is not aiding the criminal investigation and is just causing us further pain. We would also like to say that we disagree with the holding of demonstrations or any other events that might be convened in response to last Saturday's incident.
Any such events will not be held in our name. We call on the organizers of such events to demonstrate respect for the deceased and to abandon their intention of rallying in public.
We also want to ask the media and the public not to connect our family with any such initiatives. We are of the opinion that any assemblies, demonstrations or marches would just unnecessarily exacerbate the situation at this moment and upset those who are mourning the deceased.
We ask that you all be considerate on the day of the funeral. We would like to say a calm farewell to our beloved in the presence of his family and most intimate friends only.
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man now in custody
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Most Czech publishers say literature by Romani authors is not "mature" enough - but the KHER press says it's ready
- Romani NGOs in Czech Republic's Liberec Region issue statement on events in the runup to the October elections, warn against ultra-right violence
- Czech Senate Committee on Social Policy recommends rejection of bill authorizing attachment of welfare benefits over local unpaid fines
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech Senate committee recommends compensation for the illegally sterilized, final word will rest with the Senate as a whole
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July
- NGOs from four countries reject David Mezei's threats and vulgar attacks as endangering the investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters