Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
The editors at news server Romea.cz have received an open letter addressed to the media from the relatives of the 34-year-old Romani man who was shot dead one week ago in Chomutov and are publishing it in full at the request of the family. The tragic event happened there on Jirkovská Street.
At the time he was shot, the man was involved in an argument with another Romani community member. A non-Romani man came out of the apartment building in front of which the argument was underway and began to shoot at the Romani men because he was bothered by the noise.
A court has since accepted the motion of the Regional State Prosecutor in Ústí nad Labem and decided to remand the suspect into custody. He is charged with murder.
Open letter from the bereaved family to the media and the public
On Saturday, 27 May, our beloved son, brother, partner and friend died after being shot in Chomutov, and speaking as his loved ones and relatives, we are experiencing enormous sorrow at this moment. We therefore ask the public to respect our privacy.
We would like to ask journalists not to contact us and to leave us in peace. Currently an intensive criminal investigation is underway.
We want to believe the police are doing their jobs as best they can and that this case will soon be solved. We are therefore asking for your consideration and patience.
The broad range of speculation that is currently being disseminated about this case is not aiding the criminal investigation and is just causing us further pain. We would also like to say that we disagree with the holding of demonstrations or any other events that might be convened in response to last Saturday's incident.
Any such events will not be held in our name. We call on the organizers of such events to demonstrate respect for the deceased and to abandon their intention of rallying in public.
We also want to ask the media and the public not to connect our family with any such initiatives. We are of the opinion that any assemblies, demonstrations or marches would just unnecessarily exacerbate the situation at this moment and upset those who are mourning the deceased.
We ask that you all be considerate on the day of the funeral. We would like to say a calm farewell to our beloved in the presence of his family and most intimate friends only.
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man now in custody
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Martina Horváthová on building a network of Romani feminists in the Czech Republic
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
- Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Czech trial of last year's murder of a Romani man in Chomutov, defendant claims he was trying to protect people
- Czech historian reminds public that cruel abuse was perpetrated at concentration camp for Roma in Moravia
- Czech Police officer explains why he donated to Romani Scholarships
- Czech prosecutor indicts shooter for murder, refutes police report that he was responding to victim driving into people
- March against Roma Holocaust denial and for removing vice-chair of Czech lower house THIS THURSDAY IN BRNO
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
Tags:Chomutov, Kriminalita, otevřený dopis, Romani people
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.