Czech Republic: Memorial tree planted to honor the Czechoslovak Romani "Black Partisan", Josef Serinek
More than 40 people from all over the Czech Republic met yesterday in the village of Spělkov in the Vysočina Region to attend a memorial assembly dedicated to the memory of the partisan Josef Serinek, his colleagues and companions, and all of the brave local residents of the area who aided his group in their efforts to survive and fight. A tree grown from a seedling of the heirloom St Wenceslas Oak was planted in honor of this extraordinary man near the location of the first place he found safe haven after escaping the Lety concentration camp for Romani people in South Bohemia.
Serinek went on to become a leader in the partisan fight against fascism during the Second World War. The tree planting is one part of an initiative aiming to create a network of hiking trails to commemorate and connect the actual sites and stories about the actions of Serinek, resistance groups at that time, and those who supported them in that region.
The event was organized by Pavlína Hořejšová, Alice Hradilová and Ondřej Liška. Those attending included Josef Serinek's grandson, Zdeněk Serinek, and the author of the book "Bohemian Gypsy Rhapsody" (Česká cikánská rapsodie), Jan Tesař, which includes the memoirs of the man who was nicknamed the "Black Partisan".
VIDEO PART TWO
- Czech Republic: Commemoration of Romani partisan will plant tree in his honor
- Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
- Three-volume biography of Czechoslovak Romani partisan, decades in the making, has been published
- Romani heroes: The "Black" Partisan, Josef Serinek
- Czech archaeological survey confirms human remains are located in the vicinity of current memorial to WWII-era concentration camp for Roma
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- Czech Regional Governor gives award to Romani man who saved toddler's life
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Romafuturismo Library moves to northern Czech town of Most with new name: The Josef Serinek Library
- Poland: Ultra-nationalists troll Auschwitz commemoration for the first time ever