Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
Photographs of Romani people casting votes during this year's elections to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic flooded Facebook on Friday and Saturday. Some photographs were shared publicly, others just with friends, and those posting urged other Romani people to go to the polls.
The "Romani middle class" did apparently turn out for the elections, unlike Romani people living in socially excluded localities. News server Romea.cz reported yesterday that voter turnout at the mostly Romani-inhabited Chanov housing estate, for example, was 4.41 %, while in the Předlice quarter it was 7.91 % and ranged between 20 and 25 % in other such localities.
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Romani candidates not seated in Czech lower house, Beňák and Tišer got the most preferential votes
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Six Romani men, one Romani woman running for the Czech lower house
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Former Czech ombudswoman running for Senate on a platform of justice, in the broadest possible sense
- New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Central European University offers stipend to Romani students for online summer school, deadline 13 May
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures have not stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Romanian chief of local police filmed beating handcuffed Romani men as they lie on the ground
- Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film
- Milan Kotlár: Our Romani restaurant in Český Krumlov is closed, Czech state support will not rescue us
- Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers
- Vice-Chair of Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs wants to hear what Romani entrepreneurs need to respond to the effects of the pandemic
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Czech primary schools begin first-grade enrollment, children not present due to COVID-19 restrictions