Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
Photographs of Romani people casting votes during this year's elections to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic flooded Facebook on Friday and Saturday. Some photographs were shared publicly, others just with friends, and those posting urged other Romani people to go to the polls.
The "Romani middle class" did apparently turn out for the elections, unlike Romani people living in socially excluded localities. News server Romea.cz reported yesterday that voter turnout at the mostly Romani-inhabited Chanov housing estate, for example, was 4.41 %, while in the Předlice quarter it was 7.91 % and ranged between 20 and 25 % in other such localities.
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Romani candidates not seated in Czech lower house, Beňák and Tišer got the most preferential votes
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Six Romani men, one Romani woman running for the Czech lower house
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Another volunteer civil society member of Czech Govt Council on Roma Affairs resigns, Human Rights Commissioner convenes special session Friday
- Committee of Roma Regional Representatives distances itself from Czech Human Rights Commissioner
- Romani children in the Czech Republic still frequently assessed as mentally disabled and educated separately
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion publishes analysis of segregation in primary schools
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Romani community member Cyril Koky will run for Czech Senate as a Pirate in the Kolín precinct
- Slovak Government says new data show quality of life for Roma is gradually improving
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Commentary: What can the European elections improve? The Czech Republic's global image
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago