Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
Photographs of Romani people casting votes during this year's elections to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic flooded Facebook on Friday and Saturday. Some photographs were shared publicly, others just with friends, and those posting urged other Romani people to go to the polls.
The "Romani middle class" did apparently turn out for the elections, unlike Romani people living in socially excluded localities. News server Romea.cz reported yesterday that voter turnout at the mostly Romani-inhabited Chanov housing estate, for example, was 4.41 %, while in the Předlice quarter it was 7.91 % and ranged between 20 and 25 % in other such localities.
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Romani candidates not seated in Czech lower house, Beňák and Tišer got the most preferential votes
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Six Romani men, one Romani woman running for the Czech lower house
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech and international organizations support bereaved family with Constitutional Court complaint over death of Stanislav Tomáš in police custody
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Czech region now has two local platforms hoping to connect pro-Roma and Roma organizations with local administrations and state institutions
- Czech nonprofit Romodrom celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Romani actors featured on Czech "StarDance" television show
- Six Romani men and women are running in Czech elections to the lower house, one for ANO and Levice, two for the Greens, two for ultranationalist party
- Museum of Romani Culture hosts the Carrets' exhibition of photographs from their visits with friends in Romani communities
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending