Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
Photographs of Romani people casting votes during this year's elections to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic flooded Facebook on Friday and Saturday. Some photographs were shared publicly, others just with friends, and those posting urged other Romani people to go to the polls.
The "Romani middle class" did apparently turn out for the elections, unlike Romani people living in socially excluded localities. News server Romea.cz reported yesterday that voter turnout at the mostly Romani-inhabited Chanov housing estate, for example, was 4.41 %, while in the Předlice quarter it was 7.91 % and ranged between 20 and 25 % in other such localities.
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Romani candidates not seated in Czech lower house, Beňák and Tišer got the most preferential votes
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Six Romani men, one Romani woman running for the Czech lower house
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Most Czech publishers say literature by Romani authors is not "mature" enough - but the KHER press says it's ready
- Romani NGOs in Czech Republic's Liberec Region issue statement on events in the runup to the October elections, warn against ultra-right violence
- Czech Senate Committee on Social Policy recommends rejection of bill authorizing attachment of welfare benefits over local unpaid fines
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech Senate committee recommends compensation for the illegally sterilized, final word will rest with the Senate as a whole
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July
- NGOs from four countries reject David Mezei's threats and vulgar attacks as endangering the investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters