Czech Republic: "Middle class" Roma share photos on Facebook of themselves casting ballots in lower house election
Photographs of Romani people casting votes during this year's elections to the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic flooded Facebook on Friday and Saturday. Some photographs were shared publicly, others just with friends, and those posting urged other Romani people to go to the polls.
The "Romani middle class" did apparently turn out for the elections, unlike Romani people living in socially excluded localities. News server Romea.cz reported yesterday that voter turnout at the mostly Romani-inhabited Chanov housing estate, for example, was 4.41 %, while in the Předlice quarter it was 7.91 % and ranged between 20 and 25 % in other such localities.
- Czech MP, embittered by his party's loss, curses news server Romea.cz and Roma in general
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Romani candidates not seated in Czech lower house, Beňák and Tišer got the most preferential votes
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Six Romani men, one Romani woman running for the Czech lower house
- Alena Gronzíková: Romale, don't be lazy, vote! Otherwise Okamura will govern us!
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Commentary: What can the European elections improve? The Czech Republic's global image
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Spain: Two Romani men and two Romani women elected to national legislature, an historic success
- Bulgaria: Roma fear imminent genocide after mob violence, police have been deployed
- How a Romani family in the Czech Republic lost their housing through no fault of their own
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency: Czech Republic's Roma still have problems accessing education, housing and jobs
- Inspiration from Sweden could aid Czech Republic with combating disinformation
- Slovakia has 41 Romani mayors - 39 male and two female - a record high
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture announces photography competition