Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture says contract to buy pig farm on genocide site will be signed after elections
The Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, Czech Republic, has issued a press release today about the deadline for signing the contract to buy the pig farm in Lety u Písku that currently occupies the site of a former concentration camp for Romani people. News server Romea.cz is publishing the press release in full translation here.
Press release of the Museum of Romani Culture (18 October 2017)
The Musem of Romani Culture, a state-funded organization, is responding to the calls of the Konexe association and other activists expressing concerns about the fact that the contract to buy the pig farm on the site of the Protectorate-era camp at Lety u Písku has not yet been signed. On the basis of these calls, we have contacted the Czech Culture Ministry with a request for updated information.
On 17 October 2017 we were informed by our establisher (the Culture Ministry) that the signing of the contract between the state and the AGPI company to buy AGPI out will probably happen after the elections, apparently by the end of October of this year, and that both parties are looking for an appropriate date. As the future operator of the memorial at Lety u Písku, the Museum of Romani Culture expresses its belief that the already-agreed steps will be implemented and will lead to the transfer of the grounds of the pig farm to the state and to the dignified honoring there of the memories of the victims of the Romani Holocaust.
PhDr. Jana Horváthová, director, Museum of Romani Culture
- Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation
- Romani activist Čeněk Růžička receives prestigious Artis Bohemiae Amicis award, Czech Culture Minister promises current Govt will buy pig farm
- Czech state not signing pig farm contract today after all, money will come from next year's budget
- Czech Human Rights Minister says Govt will sign contract to buy pig farm on Roma genocide site next week
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Czech state's demolition of industrial pig farm on former concentration camp site for Roma to begin in June
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Descendants of Romani victims of the Holocaust and Czech experts discuss commemoration after screening of documentary "LETY"
- Jana Horváthová: Institutional racism still exists, many Roma have no faith in official structures