Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture says contract to buy pig farm on genocide site will be signed after elections
The Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, Czech Republic, has issued a press release today about the deadline for signing the contract to buy the pig farm in Lety u Písku that currently occupies the site of a former concentration camp for Romani people. News server Romea.cz is publishing the press release in full translation here.
Press release of the Museum of Romani Culture (18 October 2017)
The Musem of Romani Culture, a state-funded organization, is responding to the calls of the Konexe association and other activists expressing concerns about the fact that the contract to buy the pig farm on the site of the Protectorate-era camp at Lety u Písku has not yet been signed. On the basis of these calls, we have contacted the Czech Culture Ministry with a request for updated information.
On 17 October 2017 we were informed by our establisher (the Culture Ministry) that the signing of the contract between the state and the AGPI company to buy AGPI out will probably happen after the elections, apparently by the end of October of this year, and that both parties are looking for an appropriate date. As the future operator of the memorial at Lety u Písku, the Museum of Romani Culture expresses its belief that the already-agreed steps will be implemented and will lead to the transfer of the grounds of the pig farm to the state and to the dignified honoring there of the memories of the victims of the Romani Holocaust.
PhDr. Jana Horváthová, director, Museum of Romani Culture
- Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation
- Romani activist Čeněk Růžička receives prestigious Artis Bohemiae Amicis award, Czech Culture Minister promises current Govt will buy pig farm
- Czech state not signing pig farm contract today after all, money will come from next year's budget
- Czech Human Rights Minister says Govt will sign contract to buy pig farm on Roma genocide site next week
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- Czech capital to see new Center for the Roma and Sinti, meant to serve the general public
- Holocaust survivors and remembrance organizations object to how younger generation is using TikTok to commemorate victims
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner: I support the creation of a Government Commissioner for Romani Minority Affairs
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech website on the Holocaust launches database of victims labeled "cikáni" by the Nazis and their accomplices
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp