Czech Republic: Non-Romani demonstrators prevent Romani mourners from lighting candles at site of death, riot police prevent clashes
In the Czech town of Žatec today at 15:00 approximately 500 Romani people assembled for a memorial gathering to honor the young Romani man who died last week under circumstances that have yet to be fully officially explained in a local pizzeria. After several speeches were given on the main square, the assembly was dispersed.
The Romani people then went to the pizzeria where the Romani man died to light candles, as they have been doing since the death. Approximately 100 non-Romani people opposed to their doing so were waiting there for them.
Riot police had to intervene to prevent a clash. News server Romea.cz broadcast directly from Žatec, you can watch the video footage below.
VIDEO PART ONE
- LIVE BROADCAST of memorial gathering in Žatec
- Miroslav Klempár: The value of a Romani life versus social norms
- Czech Republic: ROMEA journalist interviewed by Radio Wave about death of young Romani man
- Twelve assemblies announced internationally to mourn the death of young Romani man in Czech Republic
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Czech Govt Roma Council discusses death case, Romani representatives express growing sense of danger
- VIDEO: Father of deceased Romani man says he has filed complaint against suspension of investigation
- VIDEO: Czech Police proceeded incorrectly, attorney for family of deceased Romani man says
- Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference
- Czech Republic: Investigation into Romani man's death continues as interethnic gulf widens
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Commentary: Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day in the Czech Republic after still-unexplained death of Romani man
- Marcel Ščuka: Romani man's corpse was not properly refrigerated, Czech Police allegedly lost his clothes
- Czech Interior Minister meets with representatives of family of deceased Romani man