Czech Republic: Non-Romani men fighting "about a girl" misreported by media as neo-Nazi brawl with Roma
Online news server udalosti112.cz broadcast reporting including video footage on 12 February claiming that a street battle had erupted in the town of Litvínov, Czech Republic between neo-Nazis and Romani people, writing about a "battle of a group of skinheads with local Roma" that "employed local and state police and emergency medical responders". News server Romea.cz was then contacted by an eyewitness to the incident who said it had not been a clash between right-wing extremists and Romani people, but an ordinary "pub brawl" among non-Romani locals involving a dispute "about a girl".
That was then confirmed by Zdeněk Urban, head of the local police in Litvínov, whose patrol was called to the scene of the crime. "We have the same information as you," Urban told Romea.cz.
"The first information was about Roma and skinheads, but a racial motivation has not been confirmed," Urban said. "We detained suspects at the crime scene and we have handed the entire case over to the state police for investigation."
Ludmila Světláková, press spokesperson for the Czech Police's Regional Directorate in Litvínov, gave a similar statement about the matter. "This was a prearranged, confrontational meeting between two [non-Romani] men who invited their friends along. It had nothing to do with Romani people. Others appeared on the scene after the noise caused by the brawl drew their attention. We have reports that newspapers wrote about this as a brawl between Roma and 'skinheads'; journalists frequently write that way in order to sensationalize their coverage," she said.
An eyewitness to the incident also contacted news server Romea.cz about it. "I saw an article alleging that 'gadje' and Roma were brawling and I would like to correct the record," the man wrote.
"Two groups of non-Roma men were brawling at the crime scene, the Roma were just watching," the eyewitness told Romea.cz. News server uldaosti112.cz later updated is coverage to state that police had ruled out racial motivation for the crime, but the online headline of the article with its incorrect characterization was unchanged as of 13 February.
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Commentary: Czech media publish manipulative news item about slaughtered sheep and an "evil Turk"
- Russia: Massacre of Romani people in the Urals, two dead, six injured, media reporting is biased
- Roma in the Czech news - from the perspective of a Romani media trainee
- Czech Republic: Gambling magnate and media businessman behind "pay-to-play" journalism
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Czech media analysis warns of pro-Kremlin websites: Dangerous propaganda and unfair reporting
- DG Justice seminar series on improving media coverage of Romani people comes to the Czech Republic
- ROMEA: The media need more Romani journalists
- Editorial: Czech media claim inspection found "no discrimination" at Krásná Lípa school - lack of professionalism or intentional manipulation?
- Czech foundation says tabloid is bolstering media hysteria about school reforms
- Czech town sees low turnout for 10th anniversary of anti-Romani pogrom, Romani people light candles for the police officers injured that day
- Petr Torák rejects media reports of tensions between Pakistanis and Roma in England
- Czech Internet trolls have competition - "elves" are combating disinformation and propaganda
- Czech Television launches new detective serial, "Lynch", about the murder of a young Romani man
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Racists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Slovakia: Romani youth in critical condition after brutal racist attack, police say they see no racist motive and make racist remarks themselves
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
Tags:Hoax, Litvínov, Média, Násilí
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.