Czech Republic: Non-Romani men fighting "about a girl" misreported by media as neo-Nazi brawl with Roma
Online news server udalosti112.cz broadcast reporting including video footage on 12 February claiming that a street battle had erupted in the town of Litvínov, Czech Republic between neo-Nazis and Romani people, writing about a "battle of a group of skinheads with local Roma" that "employed local and state police and emergency medical responders". News server Romea.cz was then contacted by an eyewitness to the incident who said it had not been a clash between right-wing extremists and Romani people, but an ordinary "pub brawl" among non-Romani locals involving a dispute "about a girl".
That was then confirmed by Zdeněk Urban, head of the local police in Litvínov, whose patrol was called to the scene of the crime. "We have the same information as you," Urban told Romea.cz.
"The first information was about Roma and skinheads, but a racial motivation has not been confirmed," Urban said. "We detained suspects at the crime scene and we have handed the entire case over to the state police for investigation."
Ludmila Světláková, press spokesperson for the Czech Police's Regional Directorate in Litvínov, gave a similar statement about the matter. "This was a prearranged, confrontational meeting between two [non-Romani] men who invited their friends along. It had nothing to do with Romani people. Others appeared on the scene after the noise caused by the brawl drew their attention. We have reports that newspapers wrote about this as a brawl between Roma and 'skinheads'; journalists frequently write that way in order to sensationalize their coverage," she said.
An eyewitness to the incident also contacted news server Romea.cz about it. "I saw an article alleging that 'gadje' and Roma were brawling and I would like to correct the record," the man wrote.
"Two groups of non-Roma men were brawling at the crime scene, the Roma were just watching," the eyewitness told Romea.cz. News server uldaosti112.cz later updated is coverage to state that police had ruled out racial motivation for the crime, but the online headline of the article with its incorrect characterization was unchanged as of 13 February.
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Commentary: Czech media publish manipulative news item about slaughtered sheep and an "evil Turk"
- Russia: Massacre of Romani people in the Urals, two dead, six injured, media reporting is biased
- Roma in the Czech news - from the perspective of a Romani media trainee
- Czech Republic: Gambling magnate and media businessman behind "pay-to-play" journalism
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Czech media analysis warns of pro-Kremlin websites: Dangerous propaganda and unfair reporting
- DG Justice seminar series on improving media coverage of Romani people comes to the Czech Republic
- ROMEA: The media need more Romani journalists
- Editorial: Czech media claim inspection found "no discrimination" at Krásná Lípa school - lack of professionalism or intentional manipulation?
- Czech foundation says tabloid is bolstering media hysteria about school reforms
- News server Romea.cz to broadcast LIVE ONLINE from Prague celebrations of International Romani Day
- Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
- Internet memes falsely allege celebration of terrorist attack in London
- Czech President alleges most immigrants are uneducated, but German statistics show otherwise
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Czech online media pro believes turning on critical thinking is easier than censoring the Internet
- Czech disinformation outlet misinforms readers that a refugee camp "like Calais" is growing in Prague
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Slovak Regional Governor spreads rumors about attempted rape on a train, police refute them
- Son of former Czech President disseminates photo online with misleading Islamophobic commentary
- Senegalese model featured on Lidl ad in Czech Republic hired by company importing mobile phones
- Czech court upholds limits on media using nicknames for politicians
Tags:Hoax, Litvínov, Média, Násilí
Czech Human Rights Minister says Government might decide to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site in June10.4.2017 7:38
Czech Republic: Prestigious literary award goes to book some commentators and Romani people find offensive9.4.2017 15:27
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.