Czech Republic: Romanes-language literary contest celebrates its 20th year
The Nová škola NGO has announced its jubilee 20th annual literary competition, Romano suno, which gives young Romani authors the opportunity to descibe how they see the world around them and be appreciated for their knowledge of Romanes, a language that is not ordinarily spoken in public. The majority society also has an opportunity to learn more about the world of Romani children and to increase their own awareness of Romanes as a full-fledged language.
COMPETITION THEMES FOR 2017
Soske som rado pro svetos? / Why am I glad to be in this world?
Miro suno / My dream
Sostar ačhiľom zoraleder / That which does not kill you makes you stronger
Hin lačho, te e fameľija bari? / Is it good to have a big family?
So šaj o gadže sikhľon le Romendar? A so amen lendar? / In what could Czechs take an example from Romani people and in what could we Roma take an example from Czechs?
Children have time until the end of this school year (30 June 2017) to work on their essays. The gala celebration announcing the winning entries will take place during the first half of December and the best texts, translated into Czech and English, will be published in the Romano suno 2017 collection.
The winning contributions will be decided by a Czech-Romani jury comprised of poet Renata Berkyová, the artist Ladislava Gažiová, the documentary filmmaker Rozálie Kohoutová, the prose writer Iveta Kokyová, the commentator and Romani Studies scholar Karolína Ryvolová, and the artist Antonín Střížek. "Through Romano suno I get to access the most contemporary form of the Romanes language, more up-to-date than what I learned at school or what I am used to hearing and reading from Romani people when I do oral histories. What is even more important to me than encountering contemporary Romanes, however, is the opportunity to see into the souls of the Romani children and teenagers who fearlessly described their everyday, harsh realities," Ryvolová said.
"From the very beginning of the competition, its organizers counted on involving all children. That was how the art section of the contest came about. Children compete with their pictures, painted according to the motifs of their fellow Romani pupils' stories, or express their view of this year's themes in their art," explains contest coordinator Marie Bořkovcová.
"Over time, however, more and more pictures began to sent to the competition that were about random themes. This year we would like to support the original purpose and once again connect the art section of the contest more closely to the literary pieces. The jurors will be awarding pictures that are related to the literary contributions," the coordinator said.
- Czech Republic: Prestigious literary award goes to book some commentators and Romani people find offensive
- Czech Republic: New book transforms views of Romani literature
- Slovakia: Romani language, literature become subjects for school graduation exams
- Czech capital to see announcement of awards for children's Romanes-language literature, video and visual art today - Romano suno 2021
- First Roma Library to open in Sweden, with literature in different dialects of Romanes by Romani authors and books on Romani culture in Swedish
- Romani singer Bertík Girga overwhelms "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" jurors, evoking tears, hugs, and a standing ovation
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations
- Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic