Czech Republic: Romani children's grades improve after joining floorball teams
Last week the Czech daily Mostecký deník reported that Romani children attending a primary school that serves the Chánov housing estate have begun to dedicate themselves to the sport of floorball. They play after school twice a week.
As a result of that experience, their behavior in school and their grades have improved. Their trainer is a former professional football player, Miroslav Potužák of Most.
"At home I wouldn't do anything, I was bored. I enjoy everything about floorball, though," 11-year-old David, a local Romani pupil, told the daily.
He is one of the 20 children who are significantly improving under the direction of Miroslav Potužák. "If you don't listen then you have no chance of being involved with training, but if you listen and obey, I will do all that I can for you. They can feel that, they see that I am fair with them," the trainer explains.
The breaking of behavioral rules at the school is kept track of through a system of tally marks. The children who play floorball after school have improved when it comes to following the rules.
During the month of December not one floorball player got a single tally mark for breaking the rules at school. Potužák first contributed to organizing the Mayor of Most's Cup competition several years ago.
He saw at the time that children in the socially excluded locality there lacked a leader, so he set up the floorball circle. He teaches his charges not to be mean to others but to behave cohesively with respect and responsibility.
"They get to play floorball in the gym as a reward for good behavior," teacher Irena Petráková told the daily. Educators at the school says the circle brings the collective together, reduces absenteeism, and improves the children's grades.
- Czech Republic: Romani businesspeople raise funds to support visually impaired children
- Czech Republic: Families of children targeted with online hate spend Christmas in the mountains thanks to generous donor
- Czech sociologist: Racist online calls to gas children are unacceptable
- Czech "November Challenge" against racism and xenophobia responds to online racist death threats against children and more
- Almost 2 000 Roma assemble in Czech town to ask for equal access to quality education
- Roman Koky: Prejudice just drives me further, education is the most important thing
- Czech survey finds most people not opposed to inclusion, but children living with disabilities or Romani children raise concerns
- Czech Republic pays billions of crowns to nonprofits - who gets most of it?
- Romani social worker on growing up at the Chanov housing estate in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: New project supports high school education among residents of Chanov housing estate
- Czech children's sports team called "Cyklon B" played a Romani team last weekend, organizers apologize
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis outnumbered by counter-protesters at Chanov housing estate by two to one
- Mário Bihári, Roma athlete and musician: "Blind people don't have to be restricted in sports"
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion objects to disinformation published about its proposals for infamous housing estate
- Czech politician misquotes meeting with Romani residents of at-risk housing estate, they correct the record
- Czech city synonymous with ethnic segregation sets up "Committee to Map and Eliminate Negative Social Phenomena"
- Romani educator at school serving infamous Czech housing estate wouldn't want to work anywhere else
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Czech court annuls board of directors of Ústecký Region's biggest housing cooperative
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Pirate Party partners with Romani residents to attempt improvement of infamous Czech housing estate
- Czech institute says city's hope of state investment into "container" housing may be in vain
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Roma forced into "container" housing by Czech mayor a decade ago warn others it's not fit for human habitation