Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
Dominik Lakatoš, a talented ice hockey player for Liberec, has been designated rookie of the year by Czech Television's annual "Hockey Player of the Season" survey. Robert Záruba announced the news during half-time of the final match of the ice hockey championship between Liberec and Sparta on 14 April and the awards ceremony will take place on 2 May.
The survey included the votes of 27 commentators, experts and reporters for Czech Television and the results were very close. During the final round of voting, the experts chose from among three finalists.
Dominik Lakatoš and David Sklenička received 10 votes each for first place. The decision then fell to each player's average rankings and Lakatoš won, with Patrik Zdráhal coming in third.
"Dominik Lakatoš is the great hope of Czech hockey. He's strong, he skates well, and once he has more experience he will begin to score more goals and be far more productive. He's moving up in the team because his talent is unequivocal," said former Czech ice hockey player and expert for Czech Television David Pospíšil.
"We're glad he succeeded in winning, we really wanted him to," said Dominik's father Josef Lakatoš, who was interviewed by Czech Television together with Dominik's mother Jana. "It was his granddad's idea to get him into hockey. He's held a hockey stick since he was little and at the age of five we took him for his first lesson in Kolín and he's been great at it ever since."
At the age of 18, after standing out at the Junior World Championship, Dominik found a stable place on Liberec's strong team and succeeded in the playoffs. "I'm very proud to be able to represent the republic doing what I enjoy and what I hope I do well," he told news server Romea.cz during that competition.
Lakatoš is already beginning to think about the National Hockey League in the USA. Among European players he is ranked 89th in this year's draft .
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Czech Govt report on the state of the Romani minority estimates 830 ghettos with 127 000 inhabitants in the regions
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free