Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
Robert Ferenc, the talented young pianist about whom we wrote in the October issue of Romano voďi, has come in fourth place in the "Pianist of the Year" competition in the Czech Republic. The 24-year-old musician from Liberec performs almost daily at the Masaryk train station in Prague.
Pianos in such settings are available for members of the public to use all around the Czech Republic and in some other European countries as well. "On the one hand [Ferenc] has a strong story behind him, and on the other he actually has a musician's soul," said Petr Malásek, a juror for the competition and a musician himself, speaking on public broadcaster Czech Television's "168 Hours" program.
Ferenc was raised in state institutions since infancy and later lived on the street, where he was assaulted by neo-Nazis and ended up in hospital. "I very much hope somebody discovers his talent," Veronika Kašáková, a finalist in the "Miss Czech Republic" contest and model who grew up with Robert in the children's home, told Romano voďi.
The young pianist says he would like to be employed to apply his talent. "I would like, just once, to accompany Lucie Bílá when she sings, or to perform on a cruise ship," Ferenc says.
- Czech civil society prize goes to Romani musician Radek Banga for protesting music award to neo-Nazi band
- Czech Republic: Romani musicians give benefit concert for families of girls killed in hit-and-run in England
- Czech musician minimizes his neo-Nazi past, but there is proof of his present links to right-wing extremists
- Czech Republic: More musicians criticize popularity of xenophobic band
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Romani performer Věra Bílá is back with singer Jan Bendig and bandleader Milan Kroka
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Famous Romani vocalist Věra Bílá returns to the Czech music scene with Jan Bendig and Milan Kroka
- "America's Got Talent" invites Romani twins from Czech Republic to perform
- Czech Police release video footage to find assailants of foreign national in Brno
- Czech alternative rock band features non-Roma and Roma performers
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák