Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
Robert Ferenc, the talented young pianist about whom we wrote in the October issue of Romano voďi, has come in fourth place in the "Pianist of the Year" competition in the Czech Republic. The 24-year-old musician from Liberec performs almost daily at the Masaryk train station in Prague.
Pianos in such settings are available for members of the public to use all around the Czech Republic and in some other European countries as well. "On the one hand [Ferenc] has a strong story behind him, and on the other he actually has a musician's soul," said Petr Malásek, a juror for the competition and a musician himself, speaking on public broadcaster Czech Television's "168 Hours" program.
Ferenc was raised in state institutions since infancy and later lived on the street, where he was assaulted by neo-Nazis and ended up in hospital. "I very much hope somebody discovers his talent," Veronika Kašáková, a finalist in the "Miss Czech Republic" contest and model who grew up with Robert in the children's home, told Romano voďi.
The young pianist says he would like to be employed to apply his talent. "I would like, just once, to accompany Lucie Bílá when she sings, or to perform on a cruise ship," Ferenc says.
- Czech civil society prize goes to Romani musician Radek Banga for protesting music award to neo-Nazi band
- Czech Republic: Romani musicians give benefit concert for families of girls killed in hit-and-run in England
- Czech musician minimizes his neo-Nazi past, but there is proof of his present links to right-wing extremists
- Czech Republic: More musicians criticize popularity of xenophobic band
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Czech xenophobic band removed from music festival lineup after other performers refuse to share the stage with them
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture's international competition for new memorial at former concentration camp receives 41 designs, exceeding organizers' expectations
- Czech-Slovak co-production of TV singing contest to feature Romani celebrity on the jury
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions
- Czech trial begins of brutal, allegedly racially-motivated assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children
- Romani community member becomes Miss Czech Republic
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship