Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
Robert Ferenc, the talented young pianist about whom we wrote in the October issue of Romano voďi, has come in fourth place in the "Pianist of the Year" competition in the Czech Republic. The 24-year-old musician from Liberec performs almost daily at the Masaryk train station in Prague.
Pianos in such settings are available for members of the public to use all around the Czech Republic and in some other European countries as well. "On the one hand [Ferenc] has a strong story behind him, and on the other he actually has a musician's soul," said Petr Malásek, a juror for the competition and a musician himself, speaking on public broadcaster Czech Television's "168 Hours" program.
Ferenc was raised in state institutions since infancy and later lived on the street, where he was assaulted by neo-Nazis and ended up in hospital. "I very much hope somebody discovers his talent," Veronika Kašáková, a finalist in the "Miss Czech Republic" contest and model who grew up with Robert in the children's home, told Romano voďi.
The young pianist says he would like to be employed to apply his talent. "I would like, just once, to accompany Lucie Bílá when she sings, or to perform on a cruise ship," Ferenc says.
- Czech civil society prize goes to Romani musician Radek Banga for protesting music award to neo-Nazi band
- Czech Republic: Romani musicians give benefit concert for families of girls killed in hit-and-run in England
- Czech musician minimizes his neo-Nazi past, but there is proof of his present links to right-wing extremists
- Czech Republic: More musicians criticize popularity of xenophobic band
- Best of the Romani musicians program BAŠAVEL in 2020, broadcast online by Czech NGO ROMEA
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Czech xenophobic band removed from music festival lineup after other performers refuse to share the stage with them
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today