Czech Republic: ROMEA journalist interviewed by Radio Wave about death of young Romani man
The death of a young man last week was the culmination of a conflict between customers at a pizzeria in the Czech town of Žatec which local police officers intervened in. Romea.cz reporter Jitka Votavová has recapitulated what is known about the case in an interview for Radio Wave.
News server Romea.cz was the only media organization to focus in-depth on describing the tragic incident. Several activists in the Czech Republic are warning that this may have been a case with racist motivation.
Police do not want to make a statement about the case yet given that the investigation is ongoing. The audio of Ms Votavová's case (in Czech only) can be accessed here.
- Twelve assemblies announced internationally to mourn the death of young Romani man in Czech Republic
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- Czech Police in Ústecký Region seek eyewitnesses in the case of the Romani man who died in Žatec
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister Michael Kocáb calls on Gejza Horváth to attend the Roma Spirit ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Radek Banga refuses interview for ROMEA TV, objects to articles published by news server Romea.cz and to hateful attacks against him on Czech social media
- Performer Jan Bendig declines invitation to join discussion on ROMEA TV, issues social media statement about his TV series
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June
- Romani organizations launch campaign about the census that "features" Czech President Zeman
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Antigypsyism and antisemitism rooted in European culture for centuries, experts discuss the causes of online hate
- Civil society: The Czech state is not fully implementing its Roma integration policy
- LIVE ONLINE BROADCAST 13:00 CET: Ceremonial awarding of certificates for ROMEA's scholarship program