Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
In Lipník nad Bečvou, Czech Republic a brutal assault was committed against three Romani children by an adult man and woman. The man is said to have punched the children in the chest and face, and eyewitnesses say he even kicked one child in the chest.
A 14-year-old boy has been hospitalized with a bruised back and a concussion, while a girl has been hospitalized with an injured thoracic cavity and another 12-year-old girl has been hospitalized with a bruised spine and dislocated nose. The children's parents reported the attack yesterday to police.
News server Romea.cz is waiting for the Police of the Czech Republic to respond to our requests for comment. The man and woman are said to have assaulted the children yesterday evening when they were playing in the park of the local chateau.
There were roughly five other minors at the scene, most of whom managed to escape before being attacked themselves. "The woman assaulted them too. She slapped my daughter. I have already been to the police because what happened is horrible. Other children were beaten much more. One of the girls couldn't even breathe after that guy struck her in the chest. The police should have video footage from the CCTV cameras in the park," Martina Marejková, the mother of one of the attacked girls, told news server Romea.cz.
According to eyewitnesses, the man is said to have grabbed one of the girls by her hair and shouted "You black whore!" at her. When she asked him to leave her alone, he punched her in the face.
"My son is in the hospital and is remaining there for observation. He will have to remain at home for treatment afterward. The youngest child to witness the assault was seven years old. We are horrified by this. We must do something so that this never repeated again," the mother of one of the attacked children told Romea.cz.
Klára Bartošová, a relative of the assaulted boy, told news server Romea.cz that the man had attacked the children because, several days ago, his 16-year-old daughter had an argument with a Romani child. "Those were absolutely different children, though. He just came up and began beating any Romani child he could get his hands on," she said.
"The situation is not good, the children's parents are horrified by what has happened. They are afraid for their children, because nobody can recall anything like this ever happening here. They immediately contacted the police, but they are afraid what that will lead to and whether the police will be able to thoroughly investigate. Emotions are already running very high because of this," Jaroslav Ferenc, a local resident told Romea.cz Jaroslav Ferenc.
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority found 13 cases of consumer discrimination last year - "No Roma, no young children..."
- Czech Police investigating dozens of online comments approving of the neo-Nazi attack in New Zealand
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Czech ultra-nationalist falsely attributes acid attack committed by native British man to "Muslim immigrants"
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Magdalena Karvayová: Romani children in the Czech schools are still segregated, we can change that
- Czech School Inspection maps successful primary schools, official says poor academic performance is not just a problem of excluded Romani pupils
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech MPs abolish infant institutions and raise remuneration for foster parents, bill now heads to Senate
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry reports that 53 % of under-threes in infant facilities are Romani
- Ladislav Samek: It is hard to get rid of the label of "institutionalized child" in Czech society
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovakia failed to properly investigate police brutality against Romani children
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- European Committee of Social Rights: Czech Republic overinstitutionalizes Romani children and children living with disabilities