Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
In the Czech towns of Louny and Žatec, assemblies were held yesterday at 15:00 to memorialize the death of a young Romani man in a local pizzeria. The first gathering took place on Tyršovo Square in Louny, where more than 30 people gathered.
The mourners then proceeded to the main square of Louny, where they lit candles in memory of the deceased. Another assembly was held at 16:00 in Žatec in front of the pizzeria where the tragedy happened.
Approximately 100 Romani community members gathered at the site of the young man's death. He died on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 after being involved in a scuffle in which municipal patrolmen intervened.
The cause of death remains unclear. How the entire incident unfolded is also unclear.
According to eyewitnesses contacted by news server Romea.cz, the young Romani man allegedly behaved agggressively after arriving at the pizzeria. Allegedly he bothered girls who were sitting at one of the tables there.
One version of events describes somebody kicking the young Romani man in the neck. Four other people are then said to have assaulted him.
The eyewitnesses have speculated that the assailants knew martial arts. According to other information, local police also beat the youth after arriving at the scene and then he collapsed.
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech Republic: New expert witness provides yet another explanation why Romani man died after police intervention
- Czech Republic: 200+ people attend funeral of Romani man who died after police intervention, protest march planned
- Czech Republic: Has a Romani man died as a result of police brutality?
- Czech Republic: Romani mother does not believe her son died a natural death after police intervention
- Czech Republic: Police claim young Romani man died of natural causes
- Czech MP loses re-election and immunity, police reopen case of his calling Lety a "non-existent, pseudo-concentration camp" for Roma
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- Czech Police director of the Karlovy Vary Region: Internal Affairs Department investigating video of intervention by police in Sokolov
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech capital to see demonstration for Stanislav Tomáš today expressing disagreement with police intervention and support for local community
- Czech Foreign Affairs Ministry announces its readiness to communicate findings of investigation into Teplice case
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights will investigate controversial police intervention after which Romani community member Stanislav Tomáš died
- Romani community turns site of young man's death in Czech town into a place of reverence
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic