Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
In the Czech towns of Louny and Žatec, assemblies were held yesterday at 15:00 to memorialize the death of a young Romani man in a local pizzeria. The first gathering took place on Tyršovo Square in Louny, where more than 30 people gathered.
The mourners then proceeded to the main square of Louny, where they lit candles in memory of the deceased. Another assembly was held at 16:00 in Žatec in front of the pizzeria where the tragedy happened.
Approximately 100 Romani community members gathered at the site of the young man's death. He died on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 after being involved in a scuffle in which municipal patrolmen intervened.
The cause of death remains unclear. How the entire incident unfolded is also unclear.
According to eyewitnesses contacted by news server Romea.cz, the young Romani man allegedly behaved agggressively after arriving at the pizzeria. Allegedly he bothered girls who were sitting at one of the tables there.
One version of events describes somebody kicking the young Romani man in the neck. Four other people are then said to have assaulted him.
The eyewitnesses have speculated that the assailants knew martial arts. According to other information, local police also beat the youth after arriving at the scene and then he collapsed.
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech Republic: New expert witness provides yet another explanation why Romani man died after police intervention
- Czech Republic: 200+ people attend funeral of Romani man who died after police intervention, protest march planned
- Czech Republic: Has a Romani man died as a result of police brutality?
- Czech Republic: Romani mother does not believe her son died a natural death after police intervention
- Czech Republic: Police claim young Romani man died of natural causes
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Czech ultra-nationalist MP could evade prosecution for calling immigrant Muslims an "invasive species"
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy
- Czech Republic: Survivor of the Nazi massacre at Lidice passes away
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away