Czech Republic: Video of Romani assembly in Žatec on 20 October
The video above is an edited recording of the gathering that took place on Thursday, 20 October in the Czech town of Žatec in front of the pizzeria where a Romani man (age 26) died on Tuesday at around 19:00. Approximately 100 Romani people gathered on that occasion.
A Romani man is shown in the video addressing those assembled to say "This can't go on", among other expressions of indignation. Some of those assembled then chant "We want the murderer!" in unison.
Two men also tape a piece of paper to the pizzeria door and write "MURDERERS! They killed a father of two children!" on it. According to statements made by eyewitnesses to news server Romea.cz, during the incident that preceded the young man's death, racist insults were directed at him and violence was used against him.
The young man is said to have died at the same time police officers arrested him using force. He is survived by his wife and two young daughters (ages one and four).
The parents of the deceased wanted to identify his body before the autopsy was performed, but were reportedly prevented from exercising that right. A press release issued by the Police of the Czech Republic in Louny says of the young man's death that: "According to the initial findings of the court-ordered autopsy, no third-party culpability was ascertained."
- Gejza Horváth cancels appearance at Roma Spirit award over death of a Romani man in Žatec
- Renáta Kováčová on the death of the Romani man in Žatec: Exonerating autopsy results impossible to believe
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Lucie Oračková on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Czech Police are not protecting us
- The final hours of life of the young Romani man who died at a Czech pizzeria
- Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Stanislava Ondová: I'm beginning to no longer feel safe in our Czech Republic
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Czech ultra-nationalist MP could evade prosecution for calling immigrant Muslims an "invasive species"
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy