Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
The video above is an interview with an eyewitness who saw part of the incident on 18 October in the Czech town of Žatec that resulted in the death of a Romani man. Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek says he saw the incident through the glass wall of the pizzeria.
The eyewitness claims that, in full view of the police, the other people involved in the conflict shouted racist vulgarities at the young man and continued to physically assault him. Here is a translated transcript of the edited interview:
Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek: The first thing I saw was that they were already beating the guy, they were beating him there, and the cops were already there, I am 1 000 per cent sure of that, and the cops already had a hold of him, and then they got him on the ground, and once they had him on the ground, the other guys began stomping on him and wailing on him in front of the cops... I don't know what kind of guys they were, they looked like normal guys, normal, tall, some were heavier, some were thinner - it was a lot of people, there were a lot of guys there.
Reporter: You're saying the situation was that the cops were holding the man down on the ground, and that in front of the cops, still in their view, other people were striking him?
Eyewitness: Lots of stomping on him one more time, kicking him, that happened... Curses were being shouted, like "Black fucker", stuff like that.
Reporter: Have you given a statement to police about this?
Eyewitness: I haven't, because nobody else saw me standing there watching, so no.
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal