Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
The video above is an interview with an eyewitness who saw part of the incident on 18 October in the Czech town of Žatec that resulted in the death of a Romani man. Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek says he saw the incident through the glass wall of the pizzeria.
The eyewitness claims that, in full view of the police, the other people involved in the conflict shouted racist vulgarities at the young man and continued to physically assault him. Here is a translated transcript of the edited interview:
Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek: The first thing I saw was that they were already beating the guy, they were beating him there, and the cops were already there, I am 1 000 per cent sure of that, and the cops already had a hold of him, and then they got him on the ground, and once they had him on the ground, the other guys began stomping on him and wailing on him in front of the cops... I don't know what kind of guys they were, they looked like normal guys, normal, tall, some were heavier, some were thinner - it was a lot of people, there were a lot of guys there.
Reporter: You're saying the situation was that the cops were holding the man down on the ground, and that in front of the cops, still in their view, other people were striking him?
Eyewitness: Lots of stomping on him one more time, kicking him, that happened... Curses were being shouted, like "Black fucker", stuff like that.
Reporter: Have you given a statement to police about this?
Eyewitness: I haven't, because nobody else saw me standing there watching, so no.
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Slovak census: More than 156 000 people declared Romani nationality, more than 100 000 declared Romanes as their mother tongue
- Editors at Slovak news server apologize for anti-Romani, racist joke, but legislator is filing a complaint
- Czech census sees 65 % rise in number of people declaring Romani nationality
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Jarmila Balážová: Petr Uhl stood up for Romani people many times
- DNA samples of Romani people taken to ascertain their ethnic origin were handled unethically and the data was misused
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA