Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
The video above is an interview with an eyewitness who saw part of the incident on 18 October in the Czech town of Žatec that resulted in the death of a Romani man. Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek says he saw the incident through the glass wall of the pizzeria.
The eyewitness claims that, in full view of the police, the other people involved in the conflict shouted racist vulgarities at the young man and continued to physically assault him. Here is a translated transcript of the edited interview:
Eyewitness Miroslav Mašek: The first thing I saw was that they were already beating the guy, they were beating him there, and the cops were already there, I am 1 000 per cent sure of that, and the cops already had a hold of him, and then they got him on the ground, and once they had him on the ground, the other guys began stomping on him and wailing on him in front of the cops... I don't know what kind of guys they were, they looked like normal guys, normal, tall, some were heavier, some were thinner - it was a lot of people, there were a lot of guys there.
Reporter: You're saying the situation was that the cops were holding the man down on the ground, and that in front of the cops, still in their view, other people were striking him?
Eyewitness: Lots of stomping on him one more time, kicking him, that happened... Curses were being shouted, like "Black fucker", stuff like that.
Reporter: Have you given a statement to police about this?
Eyewitness: I haven't, because nobody else saw me standing there watching, so no.
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Attack on mosques in New Zealand inspired by historical and present-day European violence, from the Balkans to Norway
- German neo-Nazis are training for street battles on "D-Day", hoping to take power
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education
- Czech court sentences Romani man to six months in prison for hate speech against the Czech President and others
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Czech court conditionally suspends prosecution of man who threatened to kill Romani celebrity
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Renata Berkyová: Czech sitcom is rocking the Czech-Romani world
- Romani community opinion divided over new Czech Television sitcom with Romani characters
- Czech Police release video footage to find assailants of foreign national in Brno