Grand opening of "slow fashion" shop in Prague will be broadcast live online by ROMEA 25 October
Not far from the Old Town Square in Prague, at the address Týnská ulička 10, the "F.Designers: Store and Atelier" shop has been newly offering accessories and clothing from Czech and Slovak designers since 11 October. Pavel Berky, a Romani community member whose designs recently won a fashion competition in the USA, holds a place of honor among the collections permanently available there.
In addition to offering "slow fashion" designs, the shop includes a studio where customers can order bespoke clothing or have selected pieces from the collection altered. "We are also offering exclusive, one-of-a-kind pieces for hardcore fashion lovers," says Slovak designer and owner Jana Ješková, also known as Jenny Jeshko.
Others being shown alongside Berky are the designer Denisa Dovalová, the tailor Roman Humlíček with his bespoke jeans, Rebeka Mohartová with her felt baseball caps and others. The shop also offers the luxury jewelry line Thereska, the wire jewelry designs of Tamara Kostovská, the metal bow ties of Robert and Ivana Ondráček, and various handmade purses by KIDE.
Speaking about his involvement with the newly-opened shop, Berky says: "This is a natural way for me to be in contact with the people for whom I create my designs. I enjoy listening to the stories that are very often behind these purchases - recently, for example, a lady bought a unique coat and hat from me and touchingly told me that she remembered something like it from her childhood and had never been able to find one like it anywhere else in the world and had been looking for it her whole life."
"Slow fashion" designs are a response to so-called "fast fashion", which produces trendy clothing at the lowest cost irrespective of the environmental and social impacts of the production for chains such as H&M, Top Shop, Zara, etc., and the slow fashion movement emphasizes craft, quality, and tradition with respect for the ecosystem and human rights. Followers of ROMEA's Facebook profile can watch the grand opening of Jeshko's shop on 25 October.
- PHOTO GALLERY of today's Prague demonstration of solidarity with Roma in Italy and Ukraine
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 16:00 in Prague: RomanoNet protests discrimination and racism against Roma in Europe, publishes manifesto Dost! Basta! Enough!
- In Prague and other European cities, Romani people and their allies to protest recent violence against Roma in Ukraine
- Czech children's home turns Prague streets into summer camp, complete with parcour, this Thursday
- LIVE BROADCAST: Opening of the 20th annual World Roma Festival KHAMORO in Prague
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day end today with gala
- Prague celebrations of International Romani Day continue, contingent from Brno coming for a surprise event
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Organizers of yesterday's demonstration say politicians' allegations of "assault" by protesters in front of Prague hotel are a lie
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- LIVE BROADCAST of Prague demonstrations against the ENF conference
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Czech Republic: Romani student meeting visited by fashion designer Pavel Berky
- Czech Republic: Successful Romani hairdresser launches fashion designs
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Jan Balog: Romani nonprofits in Prague will meet to discuss dissatisfaction with Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Czech court rules activists did not enrich themselves by using abandoned building, state may go to Supreme Court
- Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication