Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
Pavel Berky, a fashion designer from Slovakia of Romani origin who lives and works in London, England, was one of four finalists in the international fashion competition Exalt Fashion Show. On Saturday, 19 November, he showed his collection in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA at the final evening of the contest, which he won. The main prize is the opportunity for the winner to showcase original designs at solo fashion shows in London, Milan, New York and Paris.
"This is the dream of any designer, to present your collection in one of the big cities of fashion. My dream has come true. I am very glad and I honestly did not expect this," Berky told news server Romea.cz.
Berky is now the official designer of the spring tour of the Exalt production team. The company's website says that its "clientele involves industry celebrities, international designers and models, as well as a number of buyers and investors."
This is not Berky's first international success - in 2012 his collection "XY" won the prestigious international "TOP STYL DESIGNER" fashion competition. That contest was part of the program of the international fashion fairs KABO and STYL, which are regularly hosted by the exhibition grounds in Brno, Czech Republic.
A total of 23 contestants from four countries entered that competition. Berky also successfully presented his designs at the Dreft Fashion Week in Prague in 2012.
That same year he was also involved in a project run by the ROMEA organization, "Romani Mentor", which motivated Romani children to continue their educations. Children from a primary school in Prague's 5th district had the opportunity to experience the environment of fashion design and modeling under his direction.
In 2013, as part of the ninth annual prestigious fashion show "Shooting Fashion Stars", Berky's collection won the award for most photogenic. In 2014 Berky presented his creations at the Merceds-Benz Prague Fashion Week.
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means