Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
Radek Vondráček, Speaker of the Czech Chamber of Deputies and a member of the governing ANO movement, told CNN Prima News during a discussion program that the ANO movement is not opposed to possibly forming a governing coalition with the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement of Tomio Okamura. Unfortunately, this does not surprise me.
Current Prime Minister Babiš will want to put the next government together with whomever will have him. Why is that alarming?
The latest polls reveal that such an outcome is actually possible, that ANO and SPD could put together more than 100 seats in the lower house, which would give them a majority in Parliament. That kind of governing coalition, including the SPD, is the worst option for the Czech Republic and its future direction, without a doubt.
In the Czech Republic there is one minority, the largest, that would bear the brunt of all the negative outcomes of an ANO-SPD government. That is the Romani minority, and it is exactly Romani voters who actually have no small potential to influence the outcome of the elections to the lower house next month.
All Romani voters in this country really need to fully realize what is at stake. This is far from just about trimming welfare benefits for the most socially vulnerable, this is about the attitude of the majority overall towards the Roma in society.
If we have a political entity in the government that so openly reveals its stance against the Romani community, that incites hatred of Romani people, that disseminates disinformation, and that intensifies longstanding prejudices against Romani people, nothing good will come of that for the Czech Roma. Naturally, if social problems intensify and divide society, that will also not be good for Czech society as a whole.
Romale, it is time for a civic mobilization, a real one, to cast our ballots for one of the democratic opposition parties so none of our votes are wasted, and so the opportunity for Okamura to join the next Czech government will remain an unrealized theory. Casting our ballots this way next month is about a better future for our children, and that is what we care most about!
Me džav! A so tu?
- Jaroslav Miko: Czech President shows his arrogance and lack of basic social empathy on the first day of school
- Czech lower house elections see 22 groups in the running, no Romani-profiled parties among them
- Analysis: Welfare abuse in the Czech Republic is minimal, but in the runup to elections, politicians talk tough about it
- Jaroslav Miko on the death of a Romani man after a police intervention: It is legitimate to demand the entire incident be investigated
- Jaroslav Miko: Radek Bangas remarks about the Romani community in the Czech Republic are untrue, especially his "guesstimates"
- Czech Senate elections won by "Mayors" party, xenophobic rhetoric scored no votes, owner of disinformation tabloid not reseated
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech moderator cuts short interview with party chair who refuses to distance herself from anti-Jewish texts
- Czech court sentences social media user to two years in prison, suspended for two years, for promoting terrorism
- Germany's Supreme Court rejects appeal filed by racially-motivated murderer of 10 people
- Slovak President and Plenipotentiary for Roma object to wave of hate and racism following announcement of Pope's visit to Romani neighborhood
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road