Man who gave Nazi salute at anti-EU demonstration in Czech capital fined and given suspended sentence
Czech Television reports that a 43-year-old man has been given a six month prison sentence, suspended for two years, for giving the Nazi salute at an April event organized by the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement in the center of Prague. The verdict has yet to take effect.
The man must also pay a fine of CZK 30 000 [EUR 1 200]. Pavla Hájková, spokesperson for the District Court for Prague 1, confirmed the news.
It is possible to appeal court orders, and if the defendant does appeal, a trial would be held. He was found guilty of expressing sympathy for a movement aiming to suppress human rights and freedoms.
The maximum prison sentence for that charge is three years in prison. On 25 April the man was filmed giving the Nazi salute at an assembly organized on Wenceslas Square by the SPD.
The police announced later that day that they had identified him. Officers then used an accelerated pre-trial procedure for the case.
The demonstration against what the SPD movement called the "dictatorship of the European Union" was held to launch their campaign for the European Parliament. The leader of the movement, MP Tomio Okamura, appeared at the assembly along with the head of the extreme-right National Rally party in France, Marine Le Pen, and the head of the extreme-right Party for Freedom in the Netherlands, Geert Wilders.
During the event there were altercations between adherents of the SPD and those opposed to the movement. Riot police pushed the people demonstrating against the SPD away from the scene of the event.
Officers then arrested 10 counter-protesters for failing to obey the instructions of a public official. Police have also begun a criminal proceedings against a 46-year-old woman who, at the same assembly, wore jewelry featuring the Nazi swastika.
Detectives say that by wearing the jewelry she was publicly expressing her sympathy for Nazism. The investigation of that case has yet to be closed.
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- Disgraced Austrian leader who backed Czech MP was a neo-Nazi for years, according to new evidence
- Czech disinformation websites draw hundreds of thousands, share readership with anti-EU, neo-Nazi and pro-Kremlin websites
- Nazi concentration camp survivors say authors of hateful online comments should be ashamed of themselves
- 1 May march by Czech neo-Nazis was dispersed and torches were put out, but antisemitic abuse was expressed
- Demonstrators gave banned Nazi salute in full view of Czech Police, were wearing Nazi symbols
- Czech Police intervene against those counter-protesting demonstration featuring Le Pen, Salvini, Wilders and a neo-Nazi band
- Czech city of Brno to see counter-protests against neo-Nazis again this year
- Czech Police investigating dozens of online comments approving of the neo-Nazi attack in New Zealand
- Czech MP compares French President Macron to Hitler at commemoration of the Nazi occupation, Czech Defense Ministry distances itself
- German neo-Nazis are training for street battles on "D-Day", hoping to take power
- Czech Republic becoming a favorite destination for German neo-Nazis to practice target shooting
- Center-right MP tells the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party they are "Czech Nazis"
- US company shuts down neo-Nazi website "White Media" at the request of the Czech authorities
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- German Police arrest four neo-Nazis
- Slovakia: Chair of local party cell has swastika tattoo, national chair denies neo-Nazi associations
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Ten years on from neo-Nazi arson conviction, Czech attorney warns it could happen again