Prague 14 to begin April with the Cultural Encounters festival (Setkání kultur)
The Prague 14 Municipal Department will come to life during the first week of April with its Cultural Encounters festival (Setkání kultur). On Thursday, 6 April, in the Plechárna recreation center at 18:30, the chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic, Čeněk Růžička, will hold a discussion on the topic of Czech-Roma coexistence.
One hour later a documentary film will be screened there by director Tomáš Kudrna about the work of Romani singer Ida Kelarová with the children's choir Čhavorenge, "O čo ide Idě" ("Ida's Mission"). On Saturday, 8 April, the Ethnic Food Festival begins at 15:00 at the Kyje House of Culture, offering stands with ethnic cuisine, a fairytale show for children by the DAMÚZA Studio, and a crafts workshop where children can make their own puppets.
You can find the detailed program for 8 April at the Kyje House of Culture here. All events are free of charge.
- Czech Culture Ministry's Subsidy Commission for National Minorities issues statement against growing intolerance
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Czech Human Rights Minister wants Lety concentration camp memorial administered by Museum of Romani Culture, relative of victims disagrees
- Deputy Mayor of Prague proposes Romani celebrity receive award from the Czech capital for his brave stance against hate music
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- ROMEA TV: Czech Republic's Gipsy Brothers band reminisces about 16 years of friendship
- Czech town sees its first-ever Romani music festival
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one
- Czech town hires Romani lifeguards, swimmers respond positively - especially Romanes speakers
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Germany: Alcohol banned at neo-Nazi festival, some locals also bought up all the beer to keep it out of neo-Nazi hands