"Romani Black Panthers" undertake "guerilla action" in a Prague supermarket
On Tuesday, 24 March, the art group Romane Kale Panthera (Romani Black Panthers) presented an exhibition at the Hraničář Gallery in Ústí nad Labem about their "guerilla action" called "Happy Pork from Lety" ("Veselý vepřík z Letů"). Through this action, the group attempted to draw public attention to the fact that a pig farm still stands on a Romani Holocaust memorial site in Lety by Písek, that the Czech Government promised to get rid of the farm in the 1990s, and that the state has still not bought out the farm.
The action itself took place on 20 March, when members of the group put stickers on pork for sale at a supermarket in the Prague neighborhood of Holešovice that read "Produced from pigs raised over the graves of Romani Holocaust victims. Uncooked."
"This was a secret operation, Tamara Moyzes put the stickers on, Věra Duždová kept an eye out, and I filmed everything. In order to keep it secret we did not focus on the responses of the customers in the store, but we haven't heard of any negative reactions," David Tišer, a member of the group, told news server Romea.cz.
Those interested in participating can download the stickers from the group's Facebook page and spread awareness of the scandal of the Government's inaction themselves. The exhibition, called "Banned Art and the Natural Development of Non-Existence" (Zakázané umění a Přirozený vývoj neexistence) is dedicated to projects that draw attention to unsatisfactory public funding policies, corruption, political interests and areas ignored by state institutions.
In addition to this action, Tamara Moyzes also presented a project at the exhibition in which, using objects found in dumpsters, she responds to a Hungarian law banning people from removing garbage from dumpsters under the threat of a fine. The law targets the socially vulnerable.
ROMANE KALE PANTHERA Jolly Pig from LetyPosted by Romane KALE Panthera / Roma Black Panthers on 30. březen 2015
- Czech Republic: Visiting season opens at Lety memorial
- Karel Holomek: Who "discovered" the Romani camp at Lety?
- Czech wartime superhero "returns" to criticize Lety pig farm
- Czech Republic: Lety pig farm remembered at entrance to Terezín
- Former Czech Foreign Minister does not believe his father was involved with the Lety camp
- Director of Lidice Memorial says Czech MP's remarks about Lety were unfortunate
- Letter addressed to the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic on Mr Okamura's statement on the Lety camp
- Czech MP faces first criminal charges over remarks about Lety concentration camp
- Jana Horváthová: Hodonín and Lety functioned as concentration camps
- Czech Republic: Shocking testimonies from the Lety concentration camp
- Czech Culture Minister wants to solve the problem of the pig farm at Lety
- Czech Republic: Activists blockading pig farm at Lety where WWII-era camp for Roma once stood
- European Center of Romani Music production about Lety concentration camp for Romani people
- Czech Republic: Director of Lidice Memorial rejects criticism from relatives of Lety victims
- Czech PM Rusnok honors Romani genocide victims at Lety, says he needs to review UN recommendations about pig farm
- Czech PM Jiří Rusnok to honor the memory of Romani Holocaust victims at Lety
- United Nations Human Rights Committee urges Czech Republic to close pig farm at Lety
- Cardinal Duka leads prayers for Romani victims of Lety
- Cardinal Duka to attend commemoration of Romani victims of Nazism in Lety by Písek
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Czech capital to see European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture presentation on support for Romani culture
- Czech Republic: Romafuturismo Library holds its grand opening TODAY
- Czech Culture Minister: Buyout of pig farm was important, human dignity cannot be measured in money
- ROMEA has been with you all for 15 years
- Yvetta Blanarovičová: Talent alone is not enough
- Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
- Czech Republic: ROMEA organization is a recipient of the Anticorruption Endowment's award for bravery
- Czech Republic: Benefit concert for Romani child who survived antigypsyist arson in 2009
- "A Vanished World" exhibit on Wenceslas Square in the Czech capital for the next two weeks
- Exhibition "A Vanished World" about indigenous Czech Roma and Sinti again on display in Prague
- International Roma flag to fly on buildings throughout Czech Republic tomorrow for Roma Holocaust Remembrance Day
Tags:action, Culture, Výstava, Aktivismus
Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"7.2.2018 16:32
concentration camp at Lety u Písku, a site of the genocide of the Roma during the Second World War. When asked today whether he supports removing Okamura from his post as vice-chair of the lower house, as the Christian Democrats propose, the PM said he considers Okamura's apology to have been sufficient.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.