Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
Jozef Kmeťo, a Romani blogger living in the Czech Republic, died of COVID-19 this afternoon, as has been confirmed to news server Romea.cz by his wife. Earlier today Mr Kmeťo recorded a video warning everybody not to make light of the disease and calling on people to wear face masks.
"Never let yourselves be influenced by people who do not believe in the coronavirus," he said in the video made just this morning."I am a living example of COVID-19."
"Today an ambulance will take me to hospital because my breathing has gotten much worse. The coronavirus is not just a common flu, that's not true," he warned.
"Wear face masks, protect yourselves and others," Mr Kmeťo said in the video, which is now being shared by Romani social media users with the impact of an avalanche. According to his wife, Mr Kmeťo died while in transport to the hospital.
Mr Kmeťo was a blogger writing on the Sme.sk blog site in Slovakia and later also blogged for iDNES.cz in the Czech Republic. He was the founder and operator of the Romani radio station Redakcia R1 in Slovakia.
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech regional and Senate elections begin amid pandemic measures, Romani candidates on the ballot
- Pirate Party candidate for Governor of a Czech region from the Romani community says social exclusion has been ignored for 30 years
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Commentary: Czech journalists stoke hatred of Romani people to distract from failed pandemic response
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- VIDEO: European Roma Holocaust Memorial ceremony at Auschwitz was virtual this year, Slovak and Austrian Presidents spoke
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous
- Pandemic cancels Czech celebrations of 102nd anniversary of an independent Czechoslovakia
- Slovak fascist politician claimed COVID-19 didn't exist. Now he has it.