Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
Jozef Kmeťo, a Romani blogger living in the Czech Republic, died of COVID-19 this afternoon, as has been confirmed to news server Romea.cz by his wife. Earlier today Mr Kmeťo recorded a video warning everybody not to make light of the disease and calling on people to wear face masks.
"Never let yourselves be influenced by people who do not believe in the coronavirus," he said in the video made just this morning."I am a living example of COVID-19."
"Today an ambulance will take me to hospital because my breathing has gotten much worse. The coronavirus is not just a common flu, that's not true," he warned.
"Wear face masks, protect yourselves and others," Mr Kmeťo said in the video, which is now being shared by Romani social media users with the impact of an avalanche. According to his wife, Mr Kmeťo died while in transport to the hospital.
Mr Kmeťo was a blogger writing on the Sme.sk blog site in Slovakia and later also blogged for iDNES.cz in the Czech Republic. He was the founder and operator of the Romani radio station Redakcia R1 in Slovakia.
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Romani journalists in Czech Republic call on community to uphold measures against pandemic
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech regional and Senate elections begin amid pandemic measures, Romani candidates on the ballot
- Pirate Party candidate for Governor of a Czech region from the Romani community says social exclusion has been ignored for 30 years
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Commentary: Czech journalists stoke hatred of Romani people to distract from failed pandemic response
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- VIDEO: European Roma Holocaust Memorial ceremony at Auschwitz was virtual this year, Slovak and Austrian Presidents spoke
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol