Romani community member Cyril Koky will run for Czech Senate as a Pirate in the Kolín precinct
In the upcoming elections to the Senate in the Czech Republic the Pirate Party's candidate in the Kolín precinct will be Romani community member Cyril Koky, who was unanimously chosen by the membership base through their Internet forum. "I would like to thank the local organization of the Pirate Party in Kolín and the Central Bohemian organization for nominating me and supporting my candidacy," Koky told news server Romea.cz, adding that he highly appreciates the support.
Koky has worked since 2003 as a specialist officer in the area of national minorities at the Central Bohemian Regional Authority. That job description is above all about the issue of Romani minority integration.
The candidate has also been a member of advisory bodies at the regional and Government level. If elected, he said he would like to take advantage of his many years of experience in the area of the state administration, social issues, defense and security.
"The area that touches me painfully is the issue of social exclusion and the development of impoverished regions. The situation in those areas needs to be resolved," Koky said of his plans in the Senate, adding that he will actively contribute to advocating for proposals that lead to improving the situation.
He also plans to aid small communities with their development. "I accept this candidacy for the Senate from the Kolín precinct with humility and with the maximum determination to achieve the best result in that precinct," Koky said.
A senatorial term lasts six years. Senate elections happen every two years, during which one-third of the Senate is up for grabs.
The elections in the Kolín precinct will take place in the autumn of 2020, but the exact date is not yet known because the President of the Republic must declare it. The current Senator for that precinct is Emílie Třísková of the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD).
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Pirate Party partners with Romani residents to attempt improvement of infamous Czech housing estate
- Czech Pirate Party starting new approach to social inclusion of Roma in northern town
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Czech lower house rejects Senate amendments to bankruptcy bill, passes version unlikely to satisfy those who work with debtors
- Monika Mihaličková to the Czech Senate: Election laws must not allow the horrors of the Holocaust to repeat
- Czech Senate elections won by the right-wing Civic Democrats
- Independent Romani candidate collecting signatures to run for Czech Senate
- Czech elections 2017: ANO wins big, SocDems down but not out, Pirates score gains as does hatemongering Okamura
- Czech Senate appearance by Romani celebrity to commemorate Holocaust backed by war veteran
- Romani celebrity addresses Czech Senate on International Day of Holocaust Remembrance
- Fifty legislators meet with the Dalai Lama in the Czech Senate, criticize statement by high officials
- Czech Senate elections: Some anti-Romani candidates win, some lose
- Czech regional elections. Romani candidate for the Greens/Pirates, Karel Karika: No more socially excluded localities
- Czech Senate approves education amendment in full, opponents of inclusion failed to convince them otherwise
- Commentary: Czech conference of Islamophobes moved from the Senate to a hotel
- Romani activist to Czech Senate on Holocaust Remembrance Day: Look at North Bohemia and France
- Czech Senate rejects bill on subjecting welfare to collections
- Czech Senate rejects common EU solution to Roma exclusion
- Analysis: Right-wing extremists dominate Czech Senate hearing thanks to Czech Senator Antl (ČSSD)
- Czech President to decide whether Romani musician to receive state honors as Senate proposes
- Former Czech ombudswoman running for Senate on a platform of justice, in the broadest possible sense
- In one Czech Senate race, the "private individual vs. bureaucrat" distinction is being drawn
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Czech Pirate Party chair on Romani candidates: We're not addressing a "Romani issue", we're addressing all of society together with Romani people
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Romani activist will seek to become chair of Progressive Slovakia party
- Newly-elected Slovak MP Jarmila Vaňová: I thank Romani voters for coming out and demanding change
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Outgoing Czech Public Defender of Rights says her former deputy is not a good choice to succeed her