Romani Lives Matter. Czech town sees candles and flowers placed at the site of the tragic death of a Romani man after police intervention involving kneeling on his neck
Teplice, Czech Republic, now has an improvised remembrance site where "Romani Lives Matter" ("Na romských životech záleží") has been inscribed on one of the ribbons around a floral offering placed there. A Romani man passed away at that spot on Saturday, 19 June after police intervened against him, kneeling on his neck as part of their arrest tactics.
Police say the preliminary results of a court-ordered autopsy show the man died as a consequence of a drug overdose. Many members of the Romani community, however, are comparing the case to the murder of the Black man George Floyd, and those who can have been lighting candles and bringing flowers to the scene of the tragedy.
- Czech Police release new video footage of what preceded police intervention against Romani man who died thereafter
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council ask Interior Minister to prioritize the thorough investigation of the death of a Romani man after a police intervention
- Czech Police: According to court-ordered autopsy, death of young Romani man unconnected to police intervention
- Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech Police arrest purveyors of disinformation who hatefully threatened refugees from Ukraine, court remands them into custody
- Czech Police find 65 cases of criminal approval of Russian aggression against Ukraine, charges filed in 30 cases so far
- Children's conflict in Czech town grows into argument between refugee family from Ukraine and a small group of Romani people, police and medical responders called to the scene
- Romania: 37-year-old Roma man alleges police brutality, European Court of Human Rights has found the state liable for more than 20 such violations since 2015
- Slovakia to compensate Romani victims of police brutality after nine years of judicial procedures
- Image of a Romani woman allegedly beaten up by Ukrainians is going viral, Czech police say they are investigating a reported robbery
- Czech civic organization Konexe celebrates 10th anniversary and Roma Resistance Day in Prague with discussion about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Republic's second city sees Romani refugees from Ukraine sleeping in train station after refusing detention center accommodation
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late
- Czech Police charge bodybuilder for praising Russia's invasion of Ukraine and expressing desire for a war in which he could kill anybody
- Czech Police investigate bodybuilder who made death threats against Roma for looking forward to "war in the Czech Republic"
- Czech General Inspection of Security Forces claims officers' procedure in case of Romani man who died in custody was correct