Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
Last week Romani entrepreneurs delivered a donation of groceries and hygienic supplies to employees of the hospital in the town of Sokolov, Czech Republic. "All of the employees of the hospital send their heartfelt thanks to the Romani community of entrepreneurs from Vintířov, we greatly appreciate this, thank you," the hospital posted to its Facebook page.
The contribution has sparked a wave of positive reactions. "Milan Horvát and his son Dominik came up with all this, and when they called to ask me whether I would contribute, I didn't hesitate one second," said Romani community member Martin Bláha.
"I'm elated and proud of all of us and this great respect and reverence for the doctors. I was glad to contribute and I'm here for a good cause any time," Bláha said.
Romani community members Pavel Demeter, Roman Fabián, Tomáš Miňo and Daniel Sliško also joined the aid effort. Attempts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Czech Republic have prompted significant efforts from civil society and individuals since the Government declared a state of emergency earlier this month.
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Republic: Romani driver hospitalized after police tried to stop him filming them with his phone
- No Romani demonstration in Sokolov, but event about "Czech-Romani coexistence" will take place
- Czech Republic: Conflict at housing estate, police officer hospitalized
- Czech hospital compensates Romani woman forcibly sterilized 14 years ago
- Hospital apologizes for involuntary sterilization
- Czech hospital apologise to Romany woman for sterilisation
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- House of Romani family in Czech Republic burns down: Arson, or unfortunate accident? Police are investigating
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak Interior Minister meets with Romani MPs from governing party about police brutality incident, blames parents of the victims