Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
Last week Romani entrepreneurs delivered a donation of groceries and hygienic supplies to employees of the hospital in the town of Sokolov, Czech Republic. "All of the employees of the hospital send their heartfelt thanks to the Romani community of entrepreneurs from Vintířov, we greatly appreciate this, thank you," the hospital posted to its Facebook page.
The contribution has sparked a wave of positive reactions. "Milan Horvát and his son Dominik came up with all this, and when they called to ask me whether I would contribute, I didn't hesitate one second," said Romani community member Martin Bláha.
"I'm elated and proud of all of us and this great respect and reverence for the doctors. I was glad to contribute and I'm here for a good cause any time," Bláha said.
Romani community members Pavel Demeter, Roman Fabián, Tomáš Miňo and Daniel Sliško also joined the aid effort. Attempts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Czech Republic have prompted significant efforts from civil society and individuals since the Government declared a state of emergency earlier this month.
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Republic: Romani driver hospitalized after police tried to stop him filming them with his phone
- No Romani demonstration in Sokolov, but event about "Czech-Romani coexistence" will take place
- Czech Republic: Conflict at housing estate, police officer hospitalized
- Czech hospital compensates Romani woman forcibly sterilized 14 years ago
- Hospital apologizes for involuntary sterilization
- Czech hospital apologise to Romany woman for sterilisation
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Family turns to crowdfunding for daughter's post-brain surgery recovery, Czech insurance doesn't cover therapy that gets results
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters
- Czech tornado has left many homeless, including Romani widow with six children