Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
Last week Romani entrepreneurs delivered a donation of groceries and hygienic supplies to employees of the hospital in the town of Sokolov, Czech Republic. "All of the employees of the hospital send their heartfelt thanks to the Romani community of entrepreneurs from Vintířov, we greatly appreciate this, thank you," the hospital posted to its Facebook page.
The contribution has sparked a wave of positive reactions. "Milan Horvát and his son Dominik came up with all this, and when they called to ask me whether I would contribute, I didn't hesitate one second," said Romani community member Martin Bláha.
"I'm elated and proud of all of us and this great respect and reverence for the doctors. I was glad to contribute and I'm here for a good cause any time," Bláha said.
Romani community members Pavel Demeter, Roman Fabián, Tomáš Miňo and Daniel Sliško also joined the aid effort. Attempts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Czech Republic have prompted significant efforts from civil society and individuals since the Government declared a state of emergency earlier this month.
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Republic: Romani driver hospitalized after police tried to stop him filming them with his phone
- No Romani demonstration in Sokolov, but event about "Czech-Romani coexistence" will take place
- Czech Republic: Conflict at housing estate, police officer hospitalized
- Czech hospital compensates Romani woman forcibly sterilized 14 years ago
- Hospital apologizes for involuntary sterilization
- Czech hospital apologise to Romany woman for sterilisation
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Romani organizations write to Czech Industry and Trade Minister: Roma must be part of the National Plan for Renewal
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Slovak organization wins international award for aid to Roma during the COVID-19 crisis
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation