Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
Last week Romani entrepreneurs delivered a donation of groceries and hygienic supplies to employees of the hospital in the town of Sokolov, Czech Republic. "All of the employees of the hospital send their heartfelt thanks to the Romani community of entrepreneurs from Vintířov, we greatly appreciate this, thank you," the hospital posted to its Facebook page.
The contribution has sparked a wave of positive reactions. "Milan Horvát and his son Dominik came up with all this, and when they called to ask me whether I would contribute, I didn't hesitate one second," said Romani community member Martin Bláha.
"I'm elated and proud of all of us and this great respect and reverence for the doctors. I was glad to contribute and I'm here for a good cause any time," Bláha said.
Romani community members Pavel Demeter, Roman Fabián, Tomáš Miňo and Daniel Sliško also joined the aid effort. Attempts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Czech Republic have prompted significant efforts from civil society and individuals since the Government declared a state of emergency earlier this month.
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Republic: Romani driver hospitalized after police tried to stop him filming them with his phone
- No Romani demonstration in Sokolov, but event about "Czech-Romani coexistence" will take place
- Czech Republic: Conflict at housing estate, police officer hospitalized
- Czech hospital compensates Romani woman forcibly sterilized 14 years ago
- Hospital apologizes for involuntary sterilization
- Czech hospital apologise to Romany woman for sterilisation
- Czech state is failing to coordinate distance learning for thousands of children during COVID-19, nonprofits alone can't fix it
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous