Greece: Influx of illegal immigrants has risen sharply this year
The number of illegal immigrants arriving in Greece during the first quarter of 2015 has tripled compared to the same period last year. Agence France-Presse reports that the Greek Coast Guard announced the findings last Thursday.
While in 2014 the authorities recorded 2 863 illegal refugees arriving in Greece during the first three months of the year, this year they have registered 10 445 illegal refugees between January and the close of March. In March alone, 6 493 refugees got into the country by way of Greek islands located near the shore of Turkey.
Migrants from developing countries head to the West by traveling from Turkey through Greece in search of a better life. Most sailed to the island of Lesbos during the first quarter of 2015.
The islands of Chios, Leros and Samos rank after Lesbos with respect to frequency of illegal entry. Unlike the migrants who aim to travel a longer distance across the sea from Africa to Italy, people fleeing to Greece set out on smaller boats in which dozens of people are crammed together.
These vessels frequently have accidents or sink due to overcrowding. The Athens News Agency reported that the Greek Coast Guard saved an unusually large group of 200 refugees last Thursday on the isolated island of Gavdos, located approximately 50 kilometers south of Crete with a population of roughly 100.
- Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Greece approves crisis fund for Romani settlements during COVID-19
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Czech PM will not personally fund Syrian orphanage, claims he is donating to existing ones instead
- Italian court upholds acquittal and exoneration of captain who rescued migrants
- Czech lower house will not discuss accepting unaccompanied minor refugees - ANO, Communists, SocDems and ultra-nationalists opposed it
- "Czechs Are Helping" Initiative says number of families willing to house children from Greek refugee camps is rising, Interior Minister unmoved
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Austria, Germany on track to employ half of the refugees who arrived during the migration crisis four years ago
- Germany's anti-immigrant AfD party is radicalizing, some members are attempting to overthrow the chair