Romani football team removed from competition in the Czech Republic
The Romani football club FC Děčín will not be competing next season. On Thursday the Sports and Technical Commission (Sportovně-technická komise - STK) of the district union did not include the team in class III, allegedly because of unpaid debts. News server iDNES.cz broke the story yesterday.
The decision was made just before lots were drawn for the starting lineup. FC Děčín was listed as competing, but a few minutes before the meeting began, the commission removed the team from the list. The club had failed to respect an STK ultimatum to pay a debt of CZK 6 995 and make its starting deposit.
"They can't exclude us, we've committed no crime. We proposed a payment schedule to them, we don't have the money now. We'll appeal as high as we can go until they let us play," said Ladislav Čisár, head of FC Děčín, prior to the lottery.
The club has lived through a dramatic period in recent months. One of its matches ended with a wholesale brawl in which police had to intervene. As a result, the union suspended the Romani team from three matches, fined them CZK 28 000, deducted nine points from their overall score and banned two of their aggressive players from play for three and two years respectively. The Romani footballers claim the incident was provoked by their opponents and that they are often the target of racist insults during play.
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Slovenian scandal when weekly close to PM says God sent COVID-19 to "protect whites from corruption"