Romani football team removed from competition in the Czech Republic
The Romani football club FC Děčín will not be competing next season. On Thursday the Sports and Technical Commission (Sportovně-technická komise - STK) of the district union did not include the team in class III, allegedly because of unpaid debts. News server iDNES.cz broke the story yesterday.
The decision was made just before lots were drawn for the starting lineup. FC Děčín was listed as competing, but a few minutes before the meeting began, the commission removed the team from the list. The club had failed to respect an STK ultimatum to pay a debt of CZK 6 995 and make its starting deposit.
"They can't exclude us, we've committed no crime. We proposed a payment schedule to them, we don't have the money now. We'll appeal as high as we can go until they let us play," said Ladislav Čisár, head of FC Děčín, prior to the lottery.
The club has lived through a dramatic period in recent months. One of its matches ended with a wholesale brawl in which police had to intervene. As a result, the union suspended the Romani team from three matches, fined them CZK 28 000, deducted nine points from their overall score and banned two of their aggressive players from play for three and two years respectively. The Romani footballers claim the incident was provoked by their opponents and that they are often the target of racist insults during play.
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovakia failed to properly investigate police brutality against Romani children
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Czech court finally rules football fans' actions during attack on Black man should be considered misdemeanors, not felonies
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Czech Prosecutor General appeals case to Supreme Court, says antisemitic death threats are a crime, not a misdemeanor
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Mayor of Czech town apologizes after bureaucrat recommends application to use the town logo be rejected because she believed the applicant to be Romani