Anger as 1,000 gypsies arrive at ‘tiny’ festival
WHEN residents of a picturesque village heard they were to host a Christian festival, they expected a handful of worshippers and a low-key programme of prayer meetings.
But when the Life and Light Mission rolled on to the green, it consisted of more than 1,000 gypsies and a convoy of 200 caravans.
The event – which organisers claim will “save the lost ones from hell” – turned out to be part of one of the biggest religious gypsy events in the world.
Villagers in Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, claimed yesterday that they were duped after permission was granted for a small six-day religious festival with a dozen caravans to be held on the 30-acre field.
Within days, residents were complaining about disruption from their unexpected visitors.
Shopkeepers claimed children from the camp were stealing their stock, while the local pub landlord closed his doors after being pestered by under-age drinkers.
- Czech Republic: Platform for Social Housing says society needs homes
- Germans, Turks use trial of neo-Nazi Zschäpe to get their messages across
- Germany, other northern states want to ban “welfare tourism” by Romani people
- Czech Republic: Preparatory committee for new Romani Democratic Party meets
- Cardinal Duka leads prayers for Romani victims of Lety
- Budapest: Three neo-Nazis who assaulted WJC delegates sentenced
- New York Times visits previously segregated school in Slovakia
- Romani students from Czech Republic excelling at British school
- Slovakia: Romani Union Party says it is organizing a month of street protests
- Commission: EU funds should support Romani social inclusion from 2014 on
- Valeriu Nicolae: Roma Social Inclusion Measures the European Commission Can and Should Take
- Pro boxer Tyson Fury is proud of his origins
Tags:UK, EU, Monitoring
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.