Berlin denies planning Roma deportations
Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle on Friday repudiated statements by French President Nicolas Sarkozy that Germany is planning deportations of Roma people similar to the controversial programme in France.
“There are no such considerations,” Westerwelle told broadcaster Deutschlandfunk, adding he believe there had been a “misunderstanding.”
The foreign minister’s comments came after government spokesman Steffen Seibert also said Chancellor Angela Merkel had not told Sarkozy of such plans either at the European Council or in discussions on the sidelines, as the French President had recently claimed.
Meanwhile Green party EU parliamentarian Reinhard Bütikofer called on Merkel to come out with clear statements on the Roma issue.
In an interview with daily Frankfurter Rundschau he said she must “be clear with her close friend Sarkozy” that EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has been right to compare the Roma expulsions with the fate of millions of Roma and Jews in German-occupied Europe in World War II.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- Germans, Turks use trial of neo-Nazi Zschäpe to get their messages across
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: The term “inadaptable” deprives Roma of their humanity
- Czech Republic: Roma ghettos have CCTV systems but no playgrounds
- Růžička: Xenophobia against Romani children rising among Czech students
- Germany, other northern states want to ban “welfare tourism” by Romani people
- Cardinal Duka leads prayers for Romani victims of Lety
- Czech Interior Ministry: Extremists have won over new patrons online
- Budapest: Three neo-Nazis who assaulted WJC delegates sentenced
- New York Times visits previously segregated school in Slovakia
- Romani students from Czech Republic excelling at British school
- World Jewish Congress: Anti-Semitism in Europe may grow as a result of crisis
- Slovakia: Romani Union Party says it is organizing a month of street protests
Tags:EU, Germany, Monitoring
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.