Call for EU strategy on migration of Roma
ROMANIA HAS called for a European Union-wide strategy to deal with Roma migration, after raising concerns about France’s plan to dismantle hundreds of Roma camps and send their residents back to the Balkans.
France has deported some 200 Roma to Romania and is expected to expel about 650 more this month under a scheme championed by President Nicolas Sarkozy, who has linked crime with immigration and declared a “war” on delinquency.
The plan is part of a broad crackdown on crime by Mr Sarkozy that critics call a cynical bid to boost his flagging popularity. They also say the deportations are pointless, predicting that most of those ejected will quickly return to France.
“What has happened in Paris shows that we must have an integration plan across Europe for Roma citizens,” said Romanian president Traian Basescu.
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources