Council of Europe chief says discrimination against Romani people continues to be ignored
The Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Thorbjörn Jagland, criticized the deterioration in the situation of Roma and Sinti people in Europe today. Jagland believes discrimination against members of these minority groups is frequently ignored or overlooked.
The Austrian Press Agency reports that Jagland said many European states lack laws under which anti-Romani activity could be prosecuted. He made his remarks at a meeting of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in Berlin today dedicated to combating discrimination against Romani people.
A representative of Hungary was quoted by the MTI agency as saying the conference also discussed the religion of Islam and how "illegal" immigration influences the perception of Romani people and their social integration in Europe. At the beginning of July, a Council of Europe advisory body criticized the Czech Republic over the discrimination against Romani people ongoing there.
Prague apparently has not been very successful in its efforts to eradicate the segregation of Romani children in the schools. The Council of Europe said discrimination against Romani people is persisting in other areas of life there as well and that the number of manifestations of xenophobia is also growing.
- Council of Europe honours victims and survivors of Roma Holocaust
- Council of Europe demands proof of changed practice in the Czech schools when it comes to Roma discrimination
- Yaron Matras: Do Roma need protection from themselves? The Council of Europe comes under fire from academics for reinforcing prejudice
- Council of Europe's ROMACT project is seeking facilitators - deadline THURSDAY
- Council of Europe calls on Czech Republic to protect minority languages like German and Romani more
- Council of Europe approves European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Council of Europe: Rejecting refugees on religious basis is pure discrimination
- Council of Europe's Human Rights Commissioner: Time to cure amnesia about the history of Roma in Europe
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner: Romani migrants' rights are being violated
- Council of Europe issues report on Roma in preschool in the Czech Republic
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner criticizes Norway for taking Romani children into care
- Council of Europe: Refugees and violence against Romani people are current problems
- Romani Studies scholars don't like what they've learned so far from cooperation with Council of Europe and EC
- Council of Europe says there are still too many Romani children in the Czech "special schools"
- Council of Europe: Discrimination of Jews, LGBT, Roma and other minorities rising in Hungary
- Council of Europe: Anti-minority rhetoric common among Slovak political class
- Council of Europe: Handbook Launched on Remembrance Day of the Roma Holocaust
- Council of Europe: Most Romani people in Europe suffer from poverty and segregation
- Czech PM promises Council of Europe to address root causes of Roma discrimination
- Czech EdMin presents Council of Europe its measures for fewer Roma in special ed
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- WHO: Migrants to Europe are not disease vectors, but their immigration journeys and poor conditions on arrival damage their health
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Czech documentary film "Passengers" documents transition from children's homes to adulthood
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- Czech Constitutional Court says father's anonymous, racist e-mail about a non-white doll at nursery school was blackmail
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?
- Yet another Czech town bans housing benefits, opposition politician and Romani NGO object