Council of Europe chief says discrimination against Romani people continues to be ignored
The Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Thorbjörn Jagland, criticized the deterioration in the situation of Roma and Sinti people in Europe today. Jagland believes discrimination against members of these minority groups is frequently ignored or overlooked.
The Austrian Press Agency reports that Jagland said many European states lack laws under which anti-Romani activity could be prosecuted. He made his remarks at a meeting of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in Berlin today dedicated to combating discrimination against Romani people.
A representative of Hungary was quoted by the MTI agency as saying the conference also discussed the religion of Islam and how "illegal" immigration influences the perception of Romani people and their social integration in Europe. At the beginning of July, a Council of Europe advisory body criticized the Czech Republic over the discrimination against Romani people ongoing there.
Prague apparently has not been very successful in its efforts to eradicate the segregation of Romani children in the schools. The Council of Europe said discrimination against Romani people is persisting in other areas of life there as well and that the number of manifestations of xenophobia is also growing.
- Council of Europe honours victims and survivors of Roma Holocaust
- Council of Europe demands proof of changed practice in the Czech schools when it comes to Roma discrimination
- Yaron Matras: Do Roma need protection from themselves? The Council of Europe comes under fire from academics for reinforcing prejudice
- Council of Europe's ROMACT project is seeking facilitators - deadline THURSDAY
- Council of Europe calls on Czech Republic to protect minority languages like German and Romani more
- Council of Europe approves European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Council of Europe: Rejecting refugees on religious basis is pure discrimination
- Council of Europe's Human Rights Commissioner: Time to cure amnesia about the history of Roma in Europe
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner: Romani migrants' rights are being violated
- Council of Europe issues report on Roma in preschool in the Czech Republic
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner criticizes Norway for taking Romani children into care
- Council of Europe: Refugees and violence against Romani people are current problems
- Romani Studies scholars don't like what they've learned so far from cooperation with Council of Europe and EC
- Council of Europe says there are still too many Romani children in the Czech "special schools"
- Council of Europe: Discrimination of Jews, LGBT, Roma and other minorities rising in Hungary
- Council of Europe: Anti-minority rhetoric common among Slovak political class
- Council of Europe: Handbook Launched on Remembrance Day of the Roma Holocaust
- Council of Europe: Most Romani people in Europe suffer from poverty and segregation
- Czech PM promises Council of Europe to address root causes of Roma discrimination
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- High schoolers in the Czech capital don't discuss minorities, poll finds they distrust media and politicians
- First Czech real estate agency motivated by social responsibility in the Plzeň Region opens for business
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- Stano Daniel: Czecho-Slovak perspectives on elections to the European Parliament
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech doctor prioritizes registration of Romani patients and receives hateful threats from non-Roma
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team