Czech Republic: Khamoro World Roma Festival closes with gala concert in Prague
Dozens of people watched on Saturday as a painting of a Romani angel was created outside before their eyes on náměstí Republiky (Square of the Republic) in Prague. Romani artist Zoran Tairovic produced the work live as part of the Khamoro World Roma Festival.
The 16th annual festival began on Sunday, 25 May and culminated in a gala concert at the SaSaZu club in Prague on Saturday. That afternoon the artist erected a tent on the square to house a canvas and a camera.
Tairovic first painted the corner of the Municipal House and the building opposite it on the corner of náměstí Republiky and U Obecního domu streets. He then photographed dozens of people as they passed through the tent.
The artist overlapped the photos and projected them onto the canvas, creating an indistinct figure. He then painted the figure onto the canvas, resulting in the image of an angel on the streets of Prague.
Tairovic is a painter and performer, originally from Serbia, who creates both paintings and outdoor installations. According to the festival website he has held more than 50 exhibitions both in Serbia and abroad.
The artist's paintings hang in galleries and private collections in Australia, Canada, Europe and the US. He has been awarded several international prizes.
The Khamoro festival ended Saturday evening with a gala concert in the SaSaZu club. Performers included the Czech-based Ivan Gašpar Hrisko and his hammered dulcimer music (Cimbálová muzika Ivana Gašpara Hriska), the Hungary-based band Vojasa, the Serbia-based band Kal, and the Romania-based Fanfara Transilvania.
The festival included lectures and storytelling on the themes of the Romani past and present as well as dance workshops. Theatrical performances were also on the program.
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Final Gala Concert of the Khamoro Festival
- Czech Philharmonic celebrates International Romani Day with Romani literature and musicians
- Czech Prime Minister expresses condolences over the death of legendary Romani singer
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Romani performer Věra Bílá is back with singer Jan Bendig and bandleader Milan Kroka
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Famous Romani vocalist Věra Bílá returns to the Czech music scene with Jan Bendig and Milan Kroka
- "America's Got Talent" invites Romani twins from Czech Republic to perform
- Italian neo-Nazis want to co-opt the legacy of Czechoslovak who set himself on fire to protest the '68 invasion
- Czech alternative rock band features non-Roma and Roma performers