ERRC Urges Restraint and Responsible Reporting in Child Removal Cases
The ERRC is concerned by increasing reports of children being removed from Roma families, following reports about a child taken from her home in a Romani settlement in Greece. Another child has since been removed from her home in Ireland, according to media reports.
We ask the media to act responsibly in reporting the situation, especially as the full facts of the original case have still not been established.
The ERRC is aware of at least one report from Serbia where skinheads tried to take away a two-year old boy from his parents because he was "not as dark as his parents". Irresponsible reporting could have severe, negative consequences for Roma families across Europe.
If a crime has been committed in Greece, and this is still by no means clear, those who committed it should be treated as individuals, not as representatives of their ethnicity. Such a case could arise in any racial, ethnic, religious or national group.
Criminality is not related to ethnicity. Roma children are, however, much more likely to be put into state care, trapped in segregated education, and forcibly evicted from their homes. These are the stories that don’t make it to the front page.
We urge restraint, and we urge all local authorities, media outlets and other stakeholders to fully examine the facts before acting.
- Top Czech YouTuber doing media literacy education for hundreds of thousands was inspired by John Oliver
- Romani actor from Czech TV sitcom apologizes for using the word "gypsy" in an interview
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- New comedy series on Czech public television to feature crude humor, racist remarks and vulgar language
- Petr Torák rejects media reports of tensions between Pakistanis and Roma in England
- Czech Internet trolls have competition - "elves" are combating disinformation and propaganda
- Czech Television launches new detective serial, "Lynch", about the murder of a young Romani man
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- Racists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online