EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
Věra Jourová, Vice-President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency, and Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality, were among the high officials sending greetings to Romani people ahead of International Romani Day, 8 April. In a joint statement, the Commissioners mention the threat of COVID-19 as well as the mutual aid and solidarity that are spreading throughout Europe currently.
Joint Declaration by European Commissioners Helena Dalli and Věra Jourová on International Romani Day 2020
We are in extraordinary times of a global crisis. We see examples of beautiful solidarity, where people come together to help one another, but we also see those who use the situation to spread fear, anger and hate – often targeting the most vulnerable and already heavily discriminated groups, such as Roma people.
This day should serve as a reminder that Roma people – as the largest European ethnic minority – have contributed to Europe’s diversity and enriched our heritage for centuries. Online hate speech and fake stories against Roma people are again on the rise.
Many Roma in Europe continue to face antigypsyism, discrimination and socio-economic exclusion in their daily lives – despite EU and national rules against discrimination. Negative stereotypes and prejudices are still very much present in our society.
We need to do better. This is why the Commission will present a reinforced strategy for Roma equality and inclusion in European society.
In these times, greater efforts must be put into ensuring that Roma people are included in society and that they have equal access to the basic needs, thus ensuring their protection against infection. We need to stand united.
The only way to overcome the crisis is by working together. If there can be anything more contagious than a virus, it is our solidarity.
Europeans need to stand up for each other now. This is who we are.
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- European Commission seeks public feedback on European Social Fund activities, deadline 24 February
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- Czech state is failing to coordinate distance learning for thousands of children during COVID-19, nonprofits alone can't fix it
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous