EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
Věra Jourová, Vice-President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency, and Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality, were among the high officials sending greetings to Romani people ahead of International Romani Day, 8 April. In a joint statement, the Commissioners mention the threat of COVID-19 as well as the mutual aid and solidarity that are spreading throughout Europe currently.
Joint Declaration by European Commissioners Helena Dalli and Věra Jourová on International Romani Day 2020
We are in extraordinary times of a global crisis. We see examples of beautiful solidarity, where people come together to help one another, but we also see those who use the situation to spread fear, anger and hate – often targeting the most vulnerable and already heavily discriminated groups, such as Roma people.
This day should serve as a reminder that Roma people – as the largest European ethnic minority – have contributed to Europe’s diversity and enriched our heritage for centuries. Online hate speech and fake stories against Roma people are again on the rise.
Many Roma in Europe continue to face antigypsyism, discrimination and socio-economic exclusion in their daily lives – despite EU and national rules against discrimination. Negative stereotypes and prejudices are still very much present in our society.
We need to do better. This is why the Commission will present a reinforced strategy for Roma equality and inclusion in European society.
In these times, greater efforts must be put into ensuring that Roma people are included in society and that they have equal access to the basic needs, thus ensuring their protection against infection. We need to stand united.
The only way to overcome the crisis is by working together. If there can be anything more contagious than a virus, it is our solidarity.
Europeans need to stand up for each other now. This is who we are.
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- European Commission seeks public feedback on European Social Fund activities, deadline 24 February
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow
- European Commission President calls on EU Member States to combat discrimination against Romani people
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Secretary General issue statements honoring 2 August
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic: As long as we never appear in such positions, nothing will change
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated