European Roma and Travellers Forum condemns offer made by self-appointed "king" to US President
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) has indicated its dismay and outrage over the letter sent recently by Dorin Cioabă of Romania to US President Donald Trump suggesting that Romani people in particular should build a proposed wall between Mexico and the USA. The ERTF condemns ideas that foster segregation and discrimination in any form.
"Mr Cioabă thinks that we are living in the 19th century when Roma could be put to work as slaves in his country. If Mr Cioabă was genuinely interested in the welfare of the Roma he should start by helping them in his own country and not propose to send them abroad to work on a project, which politically and geographically does not concern European Roma," the ERTF's open letter reads.
"According to the latest research of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), Roma, the largest ethnic minority continues to face intolerable discrimination in Europe, suffering from unemployment, social segregation and serious human rights violations that rise from a phenomenon known as anti-Gypsyism," continues the letter. The ERTF calls on local, international and national Romani organizations to also express their disagreement with Cioabă and to warn their members of the danger posed by such self-appointed leaders.
"We also call on ERRC, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other human rights organizations to condemn Mr Cioabă’s initiative," the open letter says, calling also for the Evangelical Church, where Cioabă works as a pastor, to sanction his conduct. Cioabă, who has declared himself the "King of all Roma", sent his letter to the US President last week.
The letter promises Roma aid with building the controversial wall on the border between Mexico and the USA. Many human rights organizations and Roma ones have condemned the letter since it was sent.
- 2016 saw Czech President's convergence with China and with Trump
- USA: Tech firm staffers refuse to work for Trump
- Commentary: Trump won. Should we admire him?
- European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
- European Roma and Travellers Forum asks Pope to revise his rhetoric on Roma
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls summer demolitions of Romani dwellings "unprecedented"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
- ERTF: We are Roma - this is what we are
- European Roma and Travellers Forum President makes statement about COVID-19 pandemic, thanks health care professionals
- Forced sterilizations in Europe and the USA and their consequences for today
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- Pope Francis apologizes to Romani people, asks forgiveness for discrimination, mistreatment and segregation
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Romania loses at the European Court of Human Rights, must compensate Roma family for police brutality
- US State Department says Czech Republic is grappling with anti-Roma hatred, including from the President
- EU analysis finds main target of pro-Kremlin disinformation last year was Ukraine
- US Embassy in Prague gives human rights award to Magdalena Karvayová for helping Romani children access quality education