European Roma and Travellers Forum condemns offer made by self-appointed "king" to US President
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) has indicated its dismay and outrage over the letter sent recently by Dorin Cioabă of Romania to US President Donald Trump suggesting that Romani people in particular should build a proposed wall between Mexico and the USA. The ERTF condemns ideas that foster segregation and discrimination in any form.
"Mr Cioabă thinks that we are living in the 19th century when Roma could be put to work as slaves in his country. If Mr Cioabă was genuinely interested in the welfare of the Roma he should start by helping them in his own country and not propose to send them abroad to work on a project, which politically and geographically does not concern European Roma," the ERTF's open letter reads.
"According to the latest research of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), Roma, the largest ethnic minority continues to face intolerable discrimination in Europe, suffering from unemployment, social segregation and serious human rights violations that rise from a phenomenon known as anti-Gypsyism," continues the letter. The ERTF calls on local, international and national Romani organizations to also express their disagreement with Cioabă and to warn their members of the danger posed by such self-appointed leaders.
"We also call on ERRC, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other human rights organizations to condemn Mr Cioabă’s initiative," the open letter says, calling also for the Evangelical Church, where Cioabă works as a pastor, to sanction his conduct. Cioabă, who has declared himself the "King of all Roma", sent his letter to the US President last week.
The letter promises Roma aid with building the controversial wall on the border between Mexico and the USA. Many human rights organizations and Roma ones have condemned the letter since it was sent.
- 2016 saw Czech President's convergence with China and with Trump
- USA: Tech firm staffers refuse to work for Trump
- Commentary: Trump won. Should we admire him?
- European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
- European Roma and Travellers Forum asks Pope to revise his rhetoric on Roma
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls summer demolitions of Romani dwellings "unprecedented"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
- ERTF: We are Roma - this is what we are
- ERTF reproaches Czech Republic for being too restrained in combating racism
- ERTF commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Genocide on Roma
- ERTF: European Commission's previous efforts on Roma had little or no results
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Feminist Roma theater company celebrates the abolition of Roma slavery in Romania
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- USA: Pianist Tomáš Kačo performs solo at Carnegie Hall - "There is no box for this music"
- USA: High school students protest school shootings, demand stricter controls on guns
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- USA: Trump flip-flops after condemning "white supremacists", now talks "left-wing terrorism"
- Czech Republic: Assembly to honor the victim of the neo-Nazi terror attack in the USA
- USA: Neo-Nazi website shut down after insulting Charlottesville murder victim
- USA: Politicians and public pressure Trump to condemn white racists behind Saturday's deadly violence
- USA: Charlottesville mayor says Saturday's incident was terrorism, FBI investigating
Tags:Donald Trump, ERTF, Romania, USA
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.