France and Italy defy condemnations of their anti-Roma actions
France and Italy are defying pressure from human rights groups and the European Parliament over their continued mistreatment of Roma people.
Yesterday the French government said that it will not stop deporting Roma (sometimes called gypsies).
Meanwhile, Italian police have resumed the dismantling of Roma camps near Milan and Rome and transferred some of the inhabitants to temporary housing, with the mayor of the Italian capital pledging to accelerate the demolitions.
The Italian government is also proposing legislation to defend and enshrine its anti-Roma stance, in defiance of the European Parliament.
Reacting to the EP's call for deportations to be halted, the French Immigration Minister, Eric Besson said he would work to help 'Roma integration' within Romania.
Critics say this amounts to forced removals, displacement and abuse.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army