HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
On 14 December the administrators of a Canadian website called "Never Again Canada" posted video footage to their Facebook profile that originally came from the Czech Republic and has been viewed 900 000 times, shared 14 000 times, and received 5 000 reactions as of 20 December. The footage shows an argument about methamphetamine followed by an assault on a young woman in Prague.
Never Again Canada is using the footage as propaganda against Muslims and refugees. "Islamic migrants try and grab a girl and attempt to rape her somewhere in Europe," their description accompanying the video reads.
"One of the Islamists stomps on her head as she struggles to get free, while another tries to rip off her pants," the hoax alleges. Never Again Canada has 130 000 fans and purports to reveal "the real intentions of those who hate Israel" and to combat antisemitism, propaganda and terror.
The video footage they have used, however, actually has nothing to do with either Islamists or refugees. The footage is of an incident in Prague where, directly in front of the Police Presidium building, an argument over meth broke out on 22 May between three young men - none of whom are Muslim, and none of whom are refugees - and the young woman.
The youths did brutally attack the young woman. Two police officers then appeared and the youths fled.
Today the case went to trial, and the youth who stomped on the young woman's head was convicted and sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for robbery. The other two youths who assisted the main perpetrator got suspended sentences.
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- Germany reorganizes special military unit because some of its personnel are members of the ultra-right
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Antigypsyism and antisemitism rooted in European culture for centuries, experts discuss the causes of online hate
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right