HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
On 14 December the administrators of a Canadian website called "Never Again Canada" posted video footage to their Facebook profile that originally came from the Czech Republic and has been viewed 900 000 times, shared 14 000 times, and received 5 000 reactions as of 20 December. The footage shows an argument about methamphetamine followed by an assault on a young woman in Prague.
Never Again Canada is using the footage as propaganda against Muslims and refugees. "Islamic migrants try and grab a girl and attempt to rape her somewhere in Europe," their description accompanying the video reads.
"One of the Islamists stomps on her head as she struggles to get free, while another tries to rip off her pants," the hoax alleges. Never Again Canada has 130 000 fans and purports to reveal "the real intentions of those who hate Israel" and to combat antisemitism, propaganda and terror.
The video footage they have used, however, actually has nothing to do with either Islamists or refugees. The footage is of an incident in Prague where, directly in front of the Police Presidium building, an argument over meth broke out on 22 May between three young men - none of whom are Muslim, and none of whom are refugees - and the young woman.
The youths did brutally attack the young woman. Two police officers then appeared and the youths fled.
Today the case went to trial, and the youth who stomped on the young woman's head was convicted and sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for robbery. The other two youths who assisted the main perpetrator got suspended sentences.
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Czech Police, prosecutors intensively focus on online haters, number of prosecutions rising
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre
- Poland: Trial begins of neo-Nazis who celebrated birthday of the mass murderer Adolf Hitler
- Czech racists spread their annual summertime lies about free entry to swimming pools for Romani people
- Germany charges neo-Nazis with conspiring to commit terrorism
- Czech town hall decides local election slogans about "pests" and "poison" were not even misdemeanors
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Commentary: Truth vs. oligarchy, populism and xenophobia
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains