HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
On 14 December the administrators of a Canadian website called "Never Again Canada" posted video footage to their Facebook profile that originally came from the Czech Republic and has been viewed 900 000 times, shared 14 000 times, and received 5 000 reactions as of 20 December. The footage shows an argument about methamphetamine followed by an assault on a young woman in Prague.
Never Again Canada is using the footage as propaganda against Muslims and refugees. "Islamic migrants try and grab a girl and attempt to rape her somewhere in Europe," their description accompanying the video reads.
"One of the Islamists stomps on her head as she struggles to get free, while another tries to rip off her pants," the hoax alleges. Never Again Canada has 130 000 fans and purports to reveal "the real intentions of those who hate Israel" and to combat antisemitism, propaganda and terror.
The video footage they have used, however, actually has nothing to do with either Islamists or refugees. The footage is of an incident in Prague where, directly in front of the Police Presidium building, an argument over meth broke out on 22 May between three young men - none of whom are Muslim, and none of whom are refugees - and the young woman.
The youths did brutally attack the young woman. Two police officers then appeared and the youths fled.
Today the case went to trial, and the youth who stomped on the young woman's head was convicted and sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for robbery. The other two youths who assisted the main perpetrator got suspended sentences.
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Slovak MP insulted Romani people and spread xenophobia, loses his seat after being convicted of felony defamation
- Commentary: Czech Interior Ministry is realizing ultra-nationalist politician is becoming a monster
- Czech Prosecutor General insists online hate speech is a felony, Supreme Court agrees
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- Commentary: Czech President spouts reassuring nonsense to ultra-nationalists
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires