HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
On 14 December the administrators of a Canadian website called "Never Again Canada" posted video footage to their Facebook profile that originally came from the Czech Republic and has been viewed 900 000 times, shared 14 000 times, and received 5 000 reactions as of 20 December. The footage shows an argument about methamphetamine followed by an assault on a young woman in Prague.
Never Again Canada is using the footage as propaganda against Muslims and refugees. "Islamic migrants try and grab a girl and attempt to rape her somewhere in Europe," their description accompanying the video reads.
"One of the Islamists stomps on her head as she struggles to get free, while another tries to rip off her pants," the hoax alleges. Never Again Canada has 130 000 fans and purports to reveal "the real intentions of those who hate Israel" and to combat antisemitism, propaganda and terror.
The video footage they have used, however, actually has nothing to do with either Islamists or refugees. The footage is of an incident in Prague where, directly in front of the Police Presidium building, an argument over meth broke out on 22 May between three young men - none of whom are Muslim, and none of whom are refugees - and the young woman.
The youths did brutally attack the young woman. Two police officers then appeared and the youths fled.
Today the case went to trial, and the youth who stomped on the young woman's head was convicted and sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for robbery. The other two youths who assisted the main perpetrator got suspended sentences.
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- Czech protest march over flamingo killing cancelled, meeting with local officials to be held instead
- Czech disinformation outlet misinforms readers that a refugee camp "like Calais" is growing in Prague
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremists who used Czech fireworks to make bombs
- Analysis: The 2016 arson attack on Klinika Social Center - are the Czech Police incompetent, or omniscient?
- Slovak President vetoes law to end runoff voting for Regional Governors
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Slovak Regional Governor spreads rumors about attempted rape on a train, police refute them
- Son of former Czech President disseminates photo online with misleading Islamophobic commentary
- Slovak Police charge woman with threatening Muslims and Roma through Facebook, she faces six years in prison
- German court sentences xenophobes to seven and eight-year prison sentences for arson
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani men fighting "about a girl" misreported by media as neo-Nazi brawl with Roma
- Czech Police close investigation into arson attack by neo-Nazis on the Klinika Social Center
Tags:Extremism, Hoax, manipulace, Xenophobia
Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable17.3.2017 15:03
Patrik Banga: I'm for collecting ethnic data in all areas, but the majority can't tell who is Romani17.3.2017 10:17
discussion about whether estimating the numbers of Romani people should even happen and if so, what the appropriate method is to use.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.