Italian minister praises France's crackdown on Roma
Italy's interior minister on Saturday praised France's crackdown on Roma and Gypsies, saying it was "simply copying Italy" in flying more than 200 members of the minority to Romania this week.
"For years now, Italy has been using the technique of voluntary and assisted repatriation," Roberto Maroni, one of the leading figures in the anti-immigrant Northern League, said in an interview published in the daily Corriere della Sera.
Maroni said he would like Italy to be able to expel EU citizens that do not meet minimum requirements for income and housing and who weigh on the host state's finances.
"Many Roma are EU citizens but do not fulfill any of these requirements," said Maroni, whose party that is the main ally of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in parliament.
- European Romani activists say Roma must get involved in political life as candidates and voters to participate in crucial decisions about public finances
- MEPs say conditions for Roma in the settlements of eastern Slovakia are disgraceful, medieval, scandalous and shameful
- ERGO Network: Roma Week 2022 at the EP was the biggest meeting yet between EU politicians and Romani representatives
- Office of the Public Defender of Rights finds discrimination against Romani refugees from Ukraine at aid center in Czech capital
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin Peter Pollák: It is incomprehensible that the Czech Republic is unable to help a few hundred Romani refugees from Ukraine at the Prague railway station
- Commissioner Jourová, awarding Andalusia prize for the EU Capital of Diversity and Inclusion: Roma are hardest hit during crises
- EU agrees rules to regulate social media content
- DEADLINE 31 JANUARY: Call to contribute to the Roma Civil Monitor 2021-2025 project
- The disinformation war in 2021: Main targets were Ukraine, COVID-19, and who is responsible for refugees
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- MEPs who visited Romani settlements in Slovakia shocked to see such horrifying living conditions in the EU