Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
On 8 June, to mark the first anniversary of the establishment of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture (ERIAC), the Berlin-based organization has announced the first seven Barvalipe Academy members nominated by ERIAC's Pakiv Board. These outstanding Romani personalities from arts and the humanities are expected to guide ERIAC in defining its strategy and future activities.
Jarmila Balážová of the Czech Republic is one of the seven figures so honored. Born in Brno in 1972, she is an activist, journalist and moderator who graduated in journalism in 1997 from Charles University.
In 1999 she began working for the public broadcaster Czech Television as a dramaturg of programs for children and youth and hosted the children's discussion program “Tykadlo” as well as her own talk show. She was a moderator on the "Áčko" program on the commercial TV NOVA station that same year.
Between 2002 and 2013, she worked with Czech Radio 6 on the programs "Human Rights Focus", "Studio STOP", "Interview", "Focus on Youth" and "Science Talk". From 2003-2014 she was editor-in-chief of the monthly Romano voďi, published by the ROMEA organization.
From its founding until 2014, Balážová was chair of the board of directors of ROMEA. In 2014, she began working as Press Secretary for Czech Human Rights Minister Jiří Dienstbier and since November 2015 she has been Press Secretary for the Czech Education Ministry.
The other Barvalipe Academy Members are:
- Ethel Brooks, Associate Professor in the Departments of Women’s and Gender Studies and Sociology at Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA;
- Tony Gatlif, the acclaimed film director, screenwriter, composer, actor and producer based in France;
- Delaine Le Bas, a cross-disciplinary artist creating installations, performances, photography and films, based in the UK;
- Romani Rose, the Romani activist and head of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma;
- Iulius Rostas, Assistant Professor at Central European University and Chair of Romani Studies there;
- Mihaela Zatreanu, educator and developer of the first curriculum for instruction in the Romanes language in Romania.
ERIAC is also announcing its call for Associate Members, which will close on 31 July. The Institute is a membership organization bringing together Roma and non-Roma individuals and organizations with competencies and experience in arts and culture who want to be part of ERIAC’s creative hub.
Associate Members play key roles in building up the resources of ERIAC, engaging in creative exchange and co-production, taking ownership of ERIAC’s initiatives, and participating in its decision-making. They have full access to ERIAC’s information and knowledge resources, collections, archives and database; are involved in ERIAC’s program of activities; are able to shape ERIAC’s priorities and activities through the thematic sections; and form part of ERIAC’s growing creative community across Europe.
- ERIAC hosts International Cultural Outreach Program in 7 cities to showcase their activities
- Michael Roth Gives Us Reason to Celebrate as ERIAC Launches
- Zeljko Jovanovic: ERIAC Empowers the Roma to Share Their Legacy
- European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture launches its work
- Statement of the Alliance for the European Roma Institute on the 72nd Anniversary of the Romani Uprising in Auschwitz-Birkenau
- European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture: Building the Future by Honoring the Past
- Council of Europe approves European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Andrzej Mirga, Roma Education Fund's new chair, on the European Roma Institute and more
- Dragan Ristic: Anatomy of an Idea - The European Roma Institute
- European Roma Institute proponents respond to analysis by the European Roma and Travellers Forum
- The European Roma Institute: Frequently Asked Questions
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Council of Europe says Czech Republic not doing enough to teach the Romani language
- Czech capital to see new Center for the Roma and Sinti, meant to serve the general public
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- UK: Thousands of Czech citizens, mainly Roma, don't have the documents they need to apply for settled status
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people