LIVE BROADCAST 10:30 GMT today: Romani people meet with Pope Francis
Pope Francis will receive more than 5 000 Romani people from the Americas, Asia and Europe today in the Paul VI Audience Hall, Vatican City at 10:30 GMT and the event will be broadcast live online. The meeting concludes the International Pilgrimage of Gypsies, which was organized by the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples between 23 and 26 October this year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Pope Paul VI's visit to Romani people in a travellers' camp in Pomezia, Italy.
A representative of the Papal Council told news server Vatican Insider that the meeting "aims to remind the gypsy people and the whole of the community of the Church’s openness with regards to those living on the margins of society, an openness that was particularly encouraged by Pope Montini 50 years ago. The idea is that the event becomes a 'meeting of cultures', an occasion to inform the world about the history and qualities of the gypsy people, who have often fallen victim to prejudice and hostility.”
- Papa bull? What the Pope said about Roma
- Pope Francis asks forgiveness for crimes against indigenous people and criticizes "new colonialism"
- Pope Francis pays surprise visit to immigrants in former camp for Roma
- Pope Francis wishes hope and peace for Romani families in Italy
- Commentary: Pope Francis is right - Roma are often modern-day slaves
- Almost 2 000 Romani people granted historic audience with the Pope
- Sarkozy to see Pope after French crackdown on Gypsies
- City council sets aside sites for gypsies arriving to see Pope in Birmingham
- Pope asks French to welcome all nationalities
- Hindus and Jews urge Pope to undertake cause of Roma of Czech Republic during his September visit
- Pope appeals for respect for migrants rights after Italy begins clampdown on Romanians
- Czech politician misquotes meeting with Romani residents of at-risk housing estate, they correct the record
- How Easter has been celebrated among Roma of Slovak or Vlax origin in the Czech Republic
- Czech courts definitively acquit publisher of Salafist book of promoting a movement against human rights
- Czech MPs avoid round table about the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Foreign Ministry flies Romani flag, outgoing Foreign Minister and Justice Minister meet with Roma
- Activists call on Pope Francis not to extend Czech Cardinal Duka's term because of his nationalist tendencies
- Gipsy.cz video sends the message that we can turn the negative into positive
- Czech Republic: Children's text messages prove incident not one of "Roma gang violence", as media incorrectly reported
- Czech Republic: Children's fight mischaracterized by media as "Roma gang violence"
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Czech video goes viral of man telling girl to beat pillow with baseball bat and imagine it's a "Gypsy or a Muslim"